• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

vhd reaction

runnybabbit

Alpha Buck
hi there,

My bunny had her vhd inj on thurs and has had a bad reaction to it. When I got home from work on Fri, I found she had scratched of all the fur around the inj site to about the size of a £2 coin and had scratched hersel quite badly making herself bleed in a couple of places. The area was very red and quite swollen. She was also very quiet, just about managing to get up to say hello, which isn't like her atall.

I rushed her stright back to the vet who didn't seem atall bothered. He put some cream on it which turned out to be the same cream I use on my daughters ezema it a steroid/antibiotic cream called fucidin, fucibet and similar names, so he told me just to use amys cream on it if candy needed it.

As for being quiet he said that was quite normal after a vhd inj as she would feel as though she had flu (the best conparison he could give me) and would be back to normal in 2-3 days.

She is slightly brighter today and has started to eat a few of her pellets but mainly its just hay.. Has anyone else come across this sort of thing with the vhd inj or is candy just unlucky.

Karen

Sorry to hear of your troubles :( I have come across of a few incidents with the VHD injection. Tell me, did he use two needles? One to draw up the jab and one to inject? This has been the root of the problem in many cases before.

Karrots would always go off of his food for a day or two after having it done, but luckily he never had a really bad reaction to it. He would still eat his hay and drink, but just went off of his pellets and veg. He was also quiet for a few days. I really hope that your bunny is back to her usual self very soon and that she doesn't have a reaction to the jab next time she has to have it done :(

I didn't notice him change needle after he'd drawn the injection but what i did notice was that where most vets would rub the site stright after the inj kind of "Ooo take the sting away" kind of rub, he didn't so I did and ther was a lump the size of a pea, when I pointed this out he said it was nothing just the fluid from the inj under her skin.

I also mentioned about having her spayed and was told that as I dont intend to get another bunny and candy lives in the house he wouldn't recommend that I have it done as firstly it can be quite stressfull for the bunny and also anaestheic isn't very good for them

Hmm, by the sound of that, and as I think you've realised, you definately need to find a new vet! Do you know of any better ones in your area?

To be honest I haven't looked yet, candy is the first pet I'v had since moving to the area, so I just went to the closest vet (walking distance, she's not keen on car journeys) which is part of a large group. I will check which other vets in the area but I would like to find one that specializes in bunnys and dosen't treat her and me as just another little creature to treat, she's every bit a precious to me as a £500 pedigree whatever and I bet she gives me more love than they ever could.

She is a little brighter this afternoon, still not eating much but against all recent advise I'v given her quarter of a cherry tomato cos she loves them and that perked her up a bit.

I'v also just realised that your a dwarf lop breader. Candy is supposed to be a dwarf lop but dosen't look anything like the one in your picture, maybe someone at the pet shop got it wrong, mind you shi is still only 13wks old.

Whereabouts are you?

I would def recommend a more rabbit-savvy vet!! Although 2 of my buns aren't neutered, that isn't because the vet hasn't tried!!! :lol:

Sorry I'm from down south so don't know any vets up there but somebody on here is bound to have a recommendation :)

ow poor bun i would look for a new vet if you can fined one mine is very good with the buns and spaying could reduce the risk of cancer later in life. i sure i you put a poast up some one will know of a good vet near you im in the south of enland so no good eather

Thanks everyone as I said earlier she is starting to perk up a bit now, she's just pinched half a toasted muffin off my plate when someone came to the door, good job I got back before she ate much of it but that seems to have worn her out again and she having a lie down now. Thats a bit strange though, she's not eating her food but she'll have a go at mine, whats that all about.

I'v had a look in the yellow pages and there are a few vets in my area so I'll do a ring round on tues and see if any of them are good with bunnys.

Fingers crossed that she continues to improve and that I wont need one before then or atall for that matter.....

hi

I've got 5 girls to spay and I've been worried about finding a good vet - I ask them what type of anaesthetic they use for spaying a rabbit, and the answer should be isofluorane gas - my present vets also said that he gives them a drug to make them more relaxed before administering the gas mask as rabbits can panic when this happens - And I was told emphatically NOT to starve them before the op - this is very important.

Sometimes if an animal has a very bad reaction to a vaccine they recommend not having an annual booster - although a reaction like you describe just means that her immune system is really sitting up and taking notice, which is the whole idea :)

I never thought of it like that, so at least i know her imune system is working well.

She almost back to normal today, her rest times are a bit longer and more of them but other than that she seems fine running and jumping and getting up to no good, the candy we know and love....forgot to mention the grooming of me and my daughter are back aswell so she must have forgiven us...but not forgotten i'll bet

My rabbit had a really bad reaction to his vhd injection the first time round, the vet I thought did it too close to the skin! His fur around the site fell out and a big red patch developed. His Mixi jabs arefine tho.

Back