• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

happened overnight

little treasure

Young Bun
Sorry for this long post :oops: on uncovering our outdoor buns a couple of months ago,before we moved house Darren noticed that sage was sat in the little garage/sheltered section of the run he shares with girlfriend Onion,and their 2 offspring Asher and Pepper,and wouldn't come out at all :? this was out of character for him.

So Darren said he would keep an eye on him as I was at work.

Later that afternoon Sage still hadn't moved even when coaxed,Darrens major concern was that he wsn't eating so he threw some cabbage over to Sage ,which he scoffed straight way.

When I got hame later in the day Darren siad he was going to bring Sage in fr the night so he picked him up and noticed he was wet with urine,but there was that familiar smell associated with rot and maggots

Darren decided to wash him off in the bath,when he noticed a big bald patch on his back,and this was allmost through to bone in places :shock:

with it being now past midnight we booked him in at the out of hours vets in Sheffield £99 before they see you (oh well we both said )as this something that couldn't wait.

they checked him over and allthough they thought it could be fly strike there was no signs of maggots but there were the little folds of skin,that were opened up. :?

they said it could have been one of the other buns that had ripped him fighting as she said their skin was like paper and easily tore :shock:

what I thought was just missing fur was infact a large tear right across his back and I was looking at the layer of flesh under the skin.

She said he was too bad to sew up what with the risk of infection so they kept in overnight drugged him up and cleaned him up as best they could

we picked him up the next day but not before phoning at 3AM just to let us know he was ok after his OP :D

we took a few pics when he got back a couple of days later. the poor brave little guy.

sorry some are a little blurry allthough he looked a real mess before he went over :cry:
sage2.jpg

sage5.jpg

sage4.jpg

his little indoor hospital wher he spent the next 2 weeks having medicine and cream applied

sage7.jpg

a couple of days later still looking down

sage1.jpg

After a couple of weeks we tried to get him back in with the other 3 buns but his son thought he was big boss rabbit and starting chasing Sage and as Sage was still scared of the buns approaching him we decided to take out Pepper and they seemed better .

It just left Asher his daughter to occaisionally annoy him but she was just being nosey,2 week later and we put Pepper back in and they now seem best of friends again.

It's scary what can happen to your little buns overnight,a couple of months on hes's now got a fluffy bum :lol: :lol:

So we are still not sure what caused the injury even our local vet wasn't 100% sure.
:love: Samantha

How strange! My initial thought when reading this was flystrike, but that was obviously ruled out. Glad Sage is much better. I like a happy ending!!

It was most likely his son that did it.

When I was trying to bond Isadora to Blackberry he turned on her when she tried to hump him, having been fine with her for three days, and ripped a huge flap off her back, as big as the open bit on Sage's back, and the surroundings were all gunked up like his from the tissue fluid oozing out of it. It was too horrible to stitch too, so she had baytril and I kept it clean and put antiseptic on it. She also had a few other nasty bites:( It took about a month to heal completely. The last part was particularly worrying as I did not want it to close too soon and form an abcess. I felt mean keeping it open, but it was necessary.

This is why I am so pleased she is happily bonded to Zebs now, and why I was so nervous about it.

That must of been one scary sight when you first saw his wound :shock: It just goes to show you never know what might happen next. I'm just so relieved that he is okay and that he is all better now. ((((((((((( Hugs )))))))))) and ****** head scritches ****** to him :D

ouch that looks really sore poor bunny glad sage is now feeling better what a mystery i thought flystrike at first too

lisa

Back