• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lump found :-(

Veronica

Mama Doe
Hiya,

I've just found a lump, about the size of a large marble on the neck, under the chin of my while cashmere lop rescue. It's round in shape, and feels quite hard.

I've no idea where this has come from, and what is the cause, as I've never come across anything like it before. In proportion to the rabbit, it is huge!

Has anyone else come across anything like this before?
With the size of it, and its situation, I thinking the removal of it could be very difficult, and lumps are never a good thing :(

Any thoughts, opinions would be very gratefully received, as I'm worrying so much at the moment
:(

Veronica

When Patchy had a lump under her chin, it was osteomylitis(sp.) BUT she also had runny eyes and a snuffly nose, because it had put her jaw slightly out of alignment.
I hope you find out what it is and that bunny is ok.

Interestingly enough, pior to this, he had been suffering from a snuffly nose? Had been on antibiotics, and moved to my outdoor hutch.

So what happened with your bun?

She deteriorated over 6 months and eventually died in her sleep. The lump was her jawline growing though, not a separate lump.
See what the vet says. There could be any number of reasons.
This is what Patchy looked like a just before she died
patch1.JPG

the right side of her face is much larger than the left. If your bunny's lump is under the chin, it's probably not the same thing.

Oh I hope ur bun will be Ok, it's so worrying. Pip had a lump under her armpit a few weeks ago, was a bit touch + go for a while as she was quite ill, but vet managed to remove it and she is like a spring chicken now!! Vet did say it looked quite nasty though so could spread or return, just enjoying the time I have with her. Her lump wasn't attached, but take her to your vets as soon as, hopefully it can be removed.

Nicola

My guess would be either an abcess or some kind or a more serious growth. I'd take her to the Vet asap and just see what they say.

I hope she's ok. xxx

my rabbit had the exact same problem i took her to the vet and they said it was an abcess and infected the vet will surgically remove it and give you a cource of antibiotics my rab bits fur is still growing back because they shaved it it looks a bit weird cause' its a different colour to the rest of her fur hope she gets well soon :wink:

just wondered if you have been to the vets and had the lump checked. Good luck as I have just took in a rescue bun that had to have 2 lumps removed yesterday they turned out to be acesses, he wasn't ill with them or anything I just felt it when I got him home.

Back