• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Had to Rush Gizmo to vets (Gizmo Has Passed Away)

kayj

Wise Old Thumper
I had to rush Gizmo to the vets this morning as when I got up he was running about panicking and gagging with fluid coming from his nose and mouth. Bruce (the Vet) has give him a penicillin injection as we think it is full blown snuffles, I have to take him to have another penicillin jab on Sunday unless he gets any worse. I have to now keep him seperate from his partner 'Pepper' which won't go down very well as they are inseperable. He hasn't shown any of the usual symptoms i.e sneezing or snotty nose.

oh my goodness that sounds very scary!! will you be able toput them back together or will you have to keep them apart?

I am not sure yet, but I know they both won't settle without each other, I thought do I keep them together and suffer the consequences or keep them seperated and suffer the consequences. I just don't know what to do at the mo.

Awww Kay how scary for you XX Give Gizmo big cuddles from me and mine and let us know how he gets on XX

Well I am just trying him with his favourite banana & bread as he hasn't eaten anything or drank on his own I have been syrnging him water.

Phill,
what should I do about Pepper as she has been with him all last night and this morning until I took him to the Vets (What a dilemma)

Oh no, poor Gizmo :( I hope that he gets better very soon. Tons of ~~~~~~~ positive, healing vibes ~~~~~~~ being sent his way for a speedy recovery. I hope that Pepper is okay too.

I would not seperate them as he has probably had the snuffles for some time so the other bunny will already have been in contact with it . Cheeky had snuffles all his life and had a scary episode like hat in march , he was exactly the same , running around panicking with fluid etc all over his face , mouth etc . Cheeky was put on oxygen straight away and given anti inflammatories - antibiotics and bisolvon , he was kept in the vets for 48 hrs tho . We did not see an improvement in cheeky until at least 24 hours and he also did not want to eat so the nurses were syringe feeding him every 2 hours and also giving him fluids . Keep giving him fluids and obviously if he is not eating then syringe feed him . If he is not on bisolvon then ask the vet for some as it truly is great . If he still appears snuffly then I can,t speak highly enough of olbas oil placed on a tissue next to his bed as it got cheeky through many a snuffly night . Cheeky did get better , he had snuffles from 6 months olf to 6 and a half but the episode in march was bad - exactly the same as gizmo . I will be honest with you though - cheeky never really fully recovered from that and I lost him in july , it just seemed to be the beginning of the end but cheeky also had dental probs etc so please don,t panic , I don,t think for a minute that its going to be the same with gizmo . I would not seperate them tho as that would more stressful and the other rabbit has been in contact with the virus already so it would probably make no difference .
Get well soon gizmo . xx

She will already have been exposed, and the stress of losing her might reduce his chances of getting better, so I would leave them together.

Isadora was with Merlin for six months while he had full blown snuffles and never showed any sign of it, likewise Hazel has lived with Hyzenthlay for a year and has not come down with it. And Blackberry and Thuthu live with Mama Rabbit who also has a touch of it. They are fine too.

Well I kept Pepper & Gizmo together last night I just couldn't seperate them. He still isn't eating on his own so I am syrnge feeding him but at least he is now drinking. I spoke to my vet this morning and she said I can take him in to be hospitalised but I don't want to stress him out so I will see how he is tomorrow as he is going for is next injection.

Gizzy has ate a bit of banana (thank god) I am still syrnge feeding him but he has become alot brighter as he his now struggling when he sees the syrnge.

Back