• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Homeopathic therapy on the news today,

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
Hmmm couldn't decided where to stick this......

Did anyone see the news this morning they were saying homeopathic therapy is basically rubbish and they had brands like bach on it saying all it offered was a placebo like effect?

I just wanted to say what a load of rubbish, since I put my incredibly grumpy/nervy/growly bunny Bob on homeopathic medicine bach, his personality has changed so much, he lets me rub his head now and is more relaxed. He isn't the friendliest of bunnies by any stretch of the imagination, but it has had a clear effect on his mood.

This can not be a placebo type effect with him as he doesn't know he's having it in his water.
:wink:

I didn't hear but what a load of rubbish! What remidey do you use on bob Tree as i could do with it for a few of my buns if it has that much effect!

Hiya,

He has Aspen in his water, this is the write up for it.

For unknown fears, vague fears and apprehension, perhaps unable to express fears of spirit/psychic/ strange places, etc. Apprehensive of coming events. Shakiness or fluttering tummy. Very useful for children with fears of dark, also agoraphobia. Aspen brings relief from these uneasy feelings.

I've brought some new stuff from the health food shop it's just for animals, but I can't remember the name, I've not tried that yet though.

Great thanks Tree! I will give it a go with tha half wild babys they are b=nervous of everything!

You can ger a bach's animal book, which Adele kindly recommended to me, it's got all the remedies and which is best to use etc. You can get it from Waterstones. :D

I will have to go to the health food shop and have a good nosey around, as I understand it you can take combinations of different ones to get the desired effect

homeopathec temedies.

HI tree :D I heard some of that chat...utter rubbish :( I had a bunny that had a very bad eye infection which the vet couldn,t cure so i gave him some P.multicida remedy from ainsworth pharmacy & they cleared up completely, it does work :D

I was reading the homeopathy for pets booklet in the chemist today while I waited for my prescription. I got some Hepar Sulph for Lace to see if it will help her pussy ears. It was recommended to me before but I kept forgetting when I was out :oops:
It is confusing though as there were several things listed for ear infections. I probably should have bought the booklet as well, but I reckoned the info was available online.
I know arnica works. And rescue cream is great for preventing cold sores. So I think there must be something to homeopathy.

I reckon people rubbish things when they are totally ignorant. I chose homeopathy for Harriet to try to give her a bit longer rather than chemotherapy and I do not regret the decision one iota!!! She might have had a little bit longer than she otherwise would have had, who knows? AND she was not ill and sick, it was only towards the very end that she suffered pain and that was when I made "the" decision. As I always harp on "there are more things in heaven and earth....."

<sticks neck out for lynching>

I'm afraid I agree with the news and would say that it does not work. I am extremely pleased that some sense is being broadcast about this at last.

I am specifically talking about the "diluted water" medications. The 30x solutions (allegedly the most powerful) are so diluted there are literally no molecules left of the "treatment" at all! :shock: It is all plain H20. You are treating your rabbits with water.

I have read a lot of studies on this which have all shown no effect over placebo. I am not rubbishing it, but I have to state that given the hundreds of cases studied showing no effect, I am forced to currently conclude that it has no effect. :?

I know there is a huge amount of anecdotal evidence, but then there is about anything like this (eg Uri Gellar stopping people's clocks etc).

Note that I do not know much about these "creams" and suchlike people have mentioned so I cannot comment. I would also mention that some "homeopathic" remedies do actually contain standard drugs, so it would not surprise me that they work. I am talking about "true" homeopathic "dilutions".

Forgive me, Jeremy, but you - as I - are speaking from a position of ignorance. I don't claim that homeopathy definitely prolonged Harriet's life against this pernicious disease because I simply do not know whether it did or not and neither do you. I do not know a huge amount about homeopathy, what I do know is that I prefer nature against chemicals, natural production against synthesis and, as I understand it even when the original is diluted down to the nth degree, the "imprint" of the original molecules is still in the water.

I don't claim that it certainly works but, by the same token, I don't think that you can claim that it certainly does not. Where is your control? You don't have one! And neither do I. Sometimes we have to follow our instincts and mine favours nature over synthesis! :D

Lizzie, yes you are correct that I am no expert on Homeopathy, which is one of the reasons I must rely on other people's expert analysis. All proper analysis that I have read indicates no effect.

Lizzie said:
I don't claim that it certainly works but, by the same token, I don't think that you can claim that it certainly does not
Correct, I cannot claim that it certainly does not work. That is an impossible thing to prove (You cannot prove a negative - ie Prove to me that I do not own a magic invisible giraffe, you cannot :lol: ).
My exact words were "I am forced to currently conclude that it has no effect"
When every piece of evidence points to one conclusion, then that conclusion is probably correct. That is as good as science gets. If a proper double blinded study came out tomorrow that showed Homeopathy to have definate positive effects, then I would gladly reconsider my position. But no such paper has yet appeared.

Lizzie said:
I understand it even when the original is diluted down to the nth degree, the "imprint" of the original molecules is still in the water
I'm sorry but this is blatent psuedo science. It has no basis in reality. They might as well say it's magic water.

Lizzie said:
Where is your control?
All the studies had control groups of course, they would not be proper studies if they did not. I can look out the papers for you if you wish.

Lizzie said:
I prefer nature against chemicals
Nature IS chemicals. It's all the same stuff when you get down to that level. Don't get me wrong, I know what you are saying but I feel that there is this myth put about that conventional medicine is "bad" because it is scientific. In the last 80 years or so medicine has come on in huge leaps and bounds because of proper scientific testing and methods. The advances in medicine are just astronomical, compared to thousands of years of "natural" remedies. Millions of people would not be alive today without "synthesised" medication.

And finally Lizzie, please do not think that I am lambasting you for giving Harriet such treatment. I certainly would not put any of my rabbits through chemo, and would no doubt try everything I could to help them as long as it did not harm, even if I was dubious about it's effectiveness.

Back