• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bathing bunny tips

smokeys owner

Warren Scout
Yeah, I think I'm going to give snowy a bath because she has urine all over her face and paws :shock:. Does anyone have any tips because I've never done this before like how deep should the water be? what should I bath her in? and what happens if she starts licking the water or tries to get out? I've got this special rabbit shampoo from my pet shop so I hope it won't harm her if she licks it.

You rbetter off cleaning her with baby wipes. Rabbits really don't like baths. I have only ever had to bath a bunny once and that was because she was caked in mud.

I'd second that. I wouldn't bath a rabbit unless absolutely neccesary and abit of urine stain on her fur won't cause her any trouble :D

You can't use shampoo on her face anyway as with a wriggling rabbit it would be too easy to get it in her eyes.

It think someone suggested cornflour? to help turn white rabbits white again? Maybe it was Adele... someone will know.

Tam

Tamsin said:
I'd second that. I wouldn't bath a rabbit unless absolutely neccesary and abit of urine stain on her fur won't cause her any trouble :D

You can't use shampoo on her face anyway as with a wriggling rabbit it would be too easy to get it in her eyes.

It think someone suggested cornflour? to help turn white rabbits white again? Maybe it was Adele... someone will know.

Tam

Hiya yes it was me, guilty as charged :!: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cornflour is fantastic, just mix a bit into a paste, apply to bunnys fur and allow to dry. When dry, brush off briskly, and hey presto!! one sparkling white bunny, minus the water!! :lol:
Bit like doing a face or body mask i guess :?: :)
Best wishes

smokeys owner said:
Ooh, I shall try that. Where do I get cornflower and paste from? Can I get it from the supermarket?

you can get the cornflour at the supermarket and you just add water to it to make the paste :D

Yep alot of breeders swear by cornflour to clean rabbits feet. However I found it was difficult to apply the paste as it was so solid, so now I spray the feet with water and then apply the dry cornflour...beware you will get messy.
There is a product called "Sox" which is a stain remover, I am wary about using it as it is chemicals if the bunny licks itself clean but I suppose it has been made with animals in mind.

There is a product called "Sox" which is a stain remover, I am wary about using it as it is chemicals if the bunny licks itself clean but I suppose it has been made with animals in mind.

I have used similar and I use the product and watch the dirt run off, and then I wipe them over with some water to make sure it's safer.

Back