• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hurt bunny

toria

Warren Scout
Hello,
I got up late this morning and went to see my 2 rabbits. As usual Toby, my male lionhead comes barging out his hutch. I noticed I could see his skin on his back. Looking, I found a cut and dry blood. I absolutly panicked. It was dry but must`ve happened over night as I had brushed him the evening before and he was fine. I was panicking so much I couldn`t see in my rabbit books what I could do to help. I called the vets anyway and they wanted to see him asap. I feel awful as I said I didn`t know if I could go until I had gone to work. Well, the early appointment went so I had to have a later one after work. When I went home for dinner, it looked like he had been picking at it and some more fur was missing.So I rang up and took him to the vets then. I thought he could`ve done it on his hay rack or litter tray, which were both upturned this morning. But the vet said these were old wounds tht he had adjutated. And looked like he had been`scooping` under something. I realised he does duck down and run backwards and forwards under his hutch door when open. So it must be this. Anyway, he was given some steroid cream (fuciderm) which I have to put on twice a day. I feel so awful because it was my fault, letting him do it. He`s obviously done it a while ago and either I adjutated it brushing it last night or he knocked it or whatever. I just feel useless sometimes as I`m not very good with bruises and blood. Toby was a good boy having the cream put on tonight, so I just hope he`ll be ok now and not pick at it.

Don't worry too much about it. Bunnies get into all sorts of mischief, and you can't watch them all the time. Mayne you can give him something to run through, like a tunnel, so he gets the same amount of fun, but not the injury!
I thought one of my piggies had got stuck in the hay rack today! How he got in there I do not know :shock: :roll: they're a worry aren't they?

Oh bless ya. xx
You cant worry too much. these things just happen, like helen said you cant be there all the time. At least he is fine..
Emma x

i'm sure he'll be fine. don't blame yourself, it's so easy to miss things like this, especially when they act normally. rabbits love running under things, they'd be so bored if we took away all the things they love doing just in case they hurt themselves. if it makes you feel better i didn't find my bunny's cut which had got infected for a week and that was even with doing her weekly going over, i just missed the bit where it was. hope all goes well...

Don't stress, I am sure he'll be fine. If he can reach it and won't let it heal then yu can put a 'lampshade' collar on to stop him getting to it.

Hiya, try not to worry my Kovu hurt his back really bad, from a climbing incident in the house. He was climbing up a unit with his legs and resting his back on another unit, (very weird he was climbing like a person), anyway as a result he got a really nasty friction burn on his back and he kept climbing the same unit so it got worse and worse (so he had to be moved outside), it took a good six weeks for it to heal properly and it didn't bother him, but his hair grows a bit different where he did it.

Try not to worry, bunnies bash themselves up a bit, they are mad :lol:

its not your fault , its just one of those things , bunnies = mischeif and will get into scrapes . Cheeky ran into to a door , i didn,t see him running behind me and I close the door and heard a thud :shock: He cracked one of his front teeth , i felt terrible but the vet filed it and it grew back fine :D

Thank you everyone for your support. I just feel so guilty and can`t believe how quickly his bak had changed from being furry to raw skin. Obviously it was there but under the fur.
I have been putting th cream on, sometimes he is good, othertimes, he just wants to run off. I hope I`m putting it on ok as it so difficult to tell when he`s moving about. I think he might hve scratched it tonight but I can`t really tell. It looks awful to me and I feel so queasy at times. I did ask the vet if there was anyway I could stop him bothering it and she said no. I haven`t seen him bothering it.
Strange thing though,I went to the doctors today due to some exma(I can`t be bothered to spell it as it!) on my arm and he prescribed the same cream as Toby!! Manafactured by the same people, got half the same name, looks the same but Toby`s has instructions for a dog and mine for a human. Strange that.
Both my bunnys have been naughty today and I didn`t help. Toby jumped up onto Willow`s home which is wire on top. I go to stop Willow (my female mini-lop) from nipping at him or whatever before getting him down and instead I went and knocked Toby between Willow`s home and the shed wall by accident.I automatically grabbed him and put him on the ground where he thumped. Willow`s home is on the floor and he hadn`t quite slipped off.Think it was more shock to him than anything, he seemed ok after. I wasn`t. I was so angry with myself and worried.I feel like all I do is hurt my bunnys when all I do, do is take care of them.
I was quite upset at the time, just angry at myself for being so stupid now.
Regarding Toby`s back, it`s `good` to know that other people have had accidents with their rabbits, that they feel bad about. Not that I want any rabbits to be hurt but at least I`m not the only one and look like I`m cruel.
I hope everyone`s rabbits and G-pigs are better now, and that Toby`s back starts improving and gets better quickly.

Back