• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tooth extractions

Debs2811

Alpha Buck
Louis is off to the vets tomorrow about his teeth again (see my other thread "Poor Louis")

Has anyone had a rabbit with bad molars/tooth spurs where they have had to be removed?

He has had 3 molars removed already on one side, would he be able to survive if anymore were removed?

Im trying not to look on the bleak side and keeping everything crossed for it just being a case of the spurs being removed, but id like to have some idea of his chances?? :(

:( :( :( :(

I wont rest easy till hes home again safe and sound :cry:

Oh, poor Louis. Hope he's ok at the vets tomorrow. I don't have any experience of molars being removed I'm afraid - Squidgy's only had the front four out.
Everything crossed for you both. Let us know how you get on.

I've got a Netherland who gets spurs. My mum had to pop him into the vet for a pre-op checkup before he had his latest dental and the vet mentioned to her about having one of the molars removed, as the spurs seemed mostly on that one. When I took him back for his op, I spoke to another vet about it and we both agreed it was best just to treat the spurs.
The problem with removing one of the molars is that the molar opposite (above or below) won't have anything to wear against, which could cause more problems than the removal solved, and the risk that the molars each side might misalign without a tooth inbetween them. I now just make sure he gets as much fibre, hay and leafy veg as possible, and he's not had a problem yet (has been several months since his last spur removal)

Back