• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Making a hutch more interesting!

**Bonnie**

Mama Doe
Hi all,

Alfie is let out for a good 5 hours a day inside and outside the house, but spends about 8 hours in his hutch during the day. Most of the time he just snoozes and eats, i also have some toys in there which he doesn't play with at all!!

he loves chewing so i put a toilet toll in there stuffed with hay which he hasn't touched and varioud other balls with bells in.

Hopefully this means that he is content enough not to play with them.

But how can i make his hutch more interesting?? he loves chewing my clothes and tassles from jumpers so maybe i coud be a sting ball in there or hang plated string down from the ceiling??

His hutch is about 4-5 foot wide and very deep.

Any ideas welcome! thank you

my bun never plays with anything i buy either! :lol: he seems to prefer cardboard boxes with holes in to zoom through during a binky. but as for in a hutch, have u seen those things which you hang from the top and put treats in and they can nudge it about to get some to fall out and then chomp? he might find this fun if he wants to do the old foraging for food thing! also anything they can jump onto and off of seems to work!

thanks.

I think i've given up with buying toys - he really isn't intersted. he would rather sleep, run around or jump up and down the sofa!
maybe i could get my brother to make a kink of shelf thing at the back of the hutch to jump off and on too!

I too have given up on toy buying! I bought a nice chewy ball, a parrots wooden hanging toy, 2 carrots made of something chewy also and a rubber squeaky bone and Tinkerbell is interested in none of them :shock:

kate x

occasionally tobey will sniff something, and if he can't pick it up and chuck it about he gives up on it! i give him lids (completely cleaned out) from softener for your washing machine or small plastic plant pots as both buns ive ever had seemed to enjoy picking up the rims and tossing them around making loads of noise!

My rabbits all have plastic baubles from christmas hung off the front of their hutches (inside) which they hit about and play with, they also each have a teddy. One has a plastic flowerpot which he loves, and plays with almost non stop. I too have cat jingly balls, only one (Blackberry who ha the flowerpot) really plays with his, the others are more interested in sleeping, eating and running madly round the hutch!

What is it with flowerpots? Bobby loves throwing them around too.
The only toy that mine play with is the treat ball. I put Squidgy's pellets in there, so he plays non-stop

Have also bought toys for Moet and Chandon which they occassionally play with but much more interesting for them is the inside of toilet rolls and kitchen rolls which they toss about and chew. also shoe boxes that they jump in and out of and any cardboard box that I collect from the local supermarket! For their run I made wooden boxes but Chandon uses them to jump up on the hutch, which has a sloped roof and then off again at the other side! The cardboard tubes from the petshops are also a favourite with them and Moet likes to lie inside and rip it to bits!

hi

metal jam jar lids are a total hit with my girls - I think plastic flower pots would be chewed to bits though...Benny loves picking up his willow ring and dropping it in his water bowl :D

have you thought about attatching the run to the hutch so he can be running about for longer?

Hello, unfortunately my hutch is on legs, so not low enough to go into a hutch (unless i chop the legs off)

I have actually left him in his run all day today (im at work). I don't usually because im worried about foxes but i thought a fox can get him whether he is in his run or his hutch so what's the difference??!

Its too hot for him to sit in his hutch so he is under a shady tree which his bunny tent, carboard box. some toys (he never plays with!) and hay/food!

its much cooler for him!

You could make a ramp from the hutch down and enclose any open bits with mesh. Maybe he needs a friend?

Alfie kennedy said:
have you thought about attatching the run to the hutch so he can be running about for longer?

Hello, unfortunately my hutch is on legs, so not low enough to go into a hutch (unless i chop the legs off)

I have actually left him in his run all day today (im at work). I don't usually because im worried about foxes but i thought a fox can get him whether he is in his run or his hutch so what's the difference??!

Its too hot for him to sit in his hutch so he is under a shady tree which his bunny tent, carboard box. some toys (he never plays with!) and hay/food!

its much cooler for him!

My hubby has converted 2 hutches and has chopped the legs off and put a run underneath. Kami and Tuis has a box built in about 8 inces high and then the ramp goes up from there through a hole in the hutch floor - its entertaining for us watching them go up and down and the buns dont seem to be bored!! :wink: :D

Hi Sooty,

I have thought of that - thanks!

I will get him a friend at some point in the future but at the moment he gets hours of attention in the mornings and evening from myself and boyfriend and is a very happy bunny so he's not lonely,

when i am there he has the whole run of the garden and house, he comes in and out as he pleases!

Back