• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

can he come out properly now?? please reply!

should i treat him like a "normal" bunny now?

• yes-get that boy and cuddle him to death!! :)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • im not sure, id maybe wait a little longer until all his dry skin is gone

• no definately not-its too risky!

• other-please say!

• Total voters

Ryo_the_rat

Warren Scout
Gabriel went to the vets today for his VHD vac and whilst there the vet had another look at his skin. i told her that his skin was ALOT better and she agreed. he now only has a teeny bit of dry skin under his ears, and a tiny dry patch on his right ear. when he had a fungal test done about a month ago it came back negative but the vet still thought it may be ringworm so we have been treating him for that.

because we thought he had ringworm he has not yet been out properly. i havnt been able to cuddle him half as much as id like, and he hasnt had a run around the house yet, just around the one room a few times. he has mostly just had a run in his pen(which i have attached to his crate so that

he can go in and out as he pleases throughout the day.
every time i hold him i have been changing clothes, every time i stroke him ive been washing my hands and im sick of it! i feel so guilty and i just want him to be the house bunny he so deserves to be. the reason we have took so many precautions is because i have quite a few other pets-rats, hamster and guinea pigs.

my question to you is do you think it is time for him to come out properly? because his skin has more or less cleared up do you think it is ok for me to cuddle him without running to change my clothes? he is currently sat waiting patiently on my lap wondering if he can come downstairs with me now to cuddle up next to me on the settee!!

sorry for such a long post but it really has been getting me down that he hasnt been able to have all the proper luxurys he so deserves :(

I think it might be safer to wait a little while longer. You have come a long way with him and have done a wonderful job in getting him better, it would be terrible to blow it now and have something go wrong :( Ringworm spreads very easily and it would be awful if your other pets got it..... I'm not sure if it can lie dormant in things like carpets etc, so I would talk to your vet and do more research first. I know you really want to cuddle him, but I'm sure he won't mind waiting just a little longer :wink:

thanks for your replies.

after giving Gabriel a VERY long cuddle, i then went and changed my clothes and washed my hands and arms :(

i feel so awful doing it, but as you say Bunnster, i have come so far and it would be such a shame to spread it around all my animals for the sake of waiting maybe just another week.

i think a really big reason why i just wanted to start cuddling him etc is because im not 100% convinced that it is ringworm. everything ive read says ringworm is round patches that are usually red. but Gabriels are never just round, and certainly not that red :?

oh well, better safe then sorry! :?

Back