• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help!

happypalm

New Kit
i have an eight month old beautiful house bunny whom i have not yet house trained. she was very natural with her litterbox: i.e. she always went to the litter box when she needed to go! however, in the last few days she has taken to peeing on my bed! i have a futon so it's not hard for her to get up there, but the more she wees on the bed the more she seems to want to. i keep her off but it's becoming a real chore. she has her spaying scheculed for next week but i'm worried because as soon as i let her out of her house, (i've had her for about three months but i don't yet trust her to be out all the time for the obvious reasons but also because she eats everything in sight including the carpet,) she goes straight to my mattress to reliever herelf. it's as if she has decided to forgo her litterbox to favor my mattress. is this simply a house training problem or is it something more serious? i'm concerned because she is my first indoor rabbit and she's gone from being naturally good to a nightmare. could it more a cry for attention? i work long hours and when i'm home she's jumping around but sometimes her running around time can be three or four hours a day. please help i feel like a very bad owner!

Please don't feel like a bad owner, everyone has had naughty bunnies :lol:

I should imagine she'll get better after spaying, you could try putting a litter tray on your bed so she could hop into it when she needs to go.

Do you have a plant spray bottle? You could always give her a small squirt and say No at the same time whenever you spot her weeing on your bed.

Hopefully some one else will be along soon to give more advice, Good Luck!

Pictures please!

Gem x

Hiya,

You're not a bad owner what your experiencing is a teenage rabbit. Her hormones have kicked in and she's turned into a little monster :D

There are lots of things that can help, neutering is a good start. That will help get rid of the hormone driven behaviour and give you a better idea of whats left to work on. Neutering isn't an instant fix the changes take place over several weeks - just something to bare in mind so you don't panic when she doesn't improve straight away.

Setting some rules as Gem suggested is a good idea. She needs to learn "no" so you can use it to stop when she's doing something she shouldn't.

Along side that you need to redirect the behaviour you don't want into something that is acceptable. For example providing a cardboard box full of hay/shredded paper can stop digging in other places. Chew sticks, wooden toys and being creative with food can stop chewing on your things.

Rabbits are intellegent and if they don't have enough to keep them occupied they'll make their own fun. They can't tell the different between a toy for them and your favourite book so you have to make their toys more interesting so they pick those to play with.

Food is the best toy. From now on don't put any food in her bowl... that's much to easy and boring. Hay can be stuffed into little box or toilet roll tubes. Dry food in boxes, treatballs, mixed in with hay, under empty flower pots, get creative :D If she spends two hours looking for and eating her dinner instead of 30 minutes that's less time during which she could be eating your furnature.

Hope that gives you some ideas :)

Tamsin

Oooh Tamsin those ideas are great! and i have to say getting them to learn ''no'' does work! I have two house bunny's one who pees on the bed and the other who pees where he's supposed to! I was at the end of my tether witth Grace and i had tried everything but then i started telling her no when she peed on the bed! and it does work she is getting better! She still pees on it but not as much but we've only been working on it for 2 weeks!!

If she is weeing on the bed make sure you thoroughly clean the spot cos they will go where they can smell where they have been before. Hopefully that will discourage her a bit. Have you got the option of keeping her out of the bedroom altogether. My 2 dont go in the bedroom - mainly because of my hairdryer and hair straightners, the cables are on the floor. I have a puppy spray as well to stop chewing. Plus i have alot of toys and tunnels and other things to keep them occupied. I have pictures of my rabbits bedroom on another thread. I have spoilt them just a little. :wink: :roll: :D It just takes time im sure she will get better once she has been spayed :D

Back