• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hello

Sabiene

New Kit
Hi

Just thought I'd introduce myself and also give a warning. Today I lost my best friend, George, to fly strike. After 8 years of not having anything particularly wrong with him I noticed that he was 'depressed' and off his food. I took him out of his cage this morning and noticed maggots. Rushed him to the vets but it was too late. The only kind thing I could do was to let him go to sleep. I honestly didn't expect this to effect me this much but I was wrong. I have just cleaned out his cage and bowl. I also have another rabbit, Henry, who is already missing George. I can not believe how quickly this came on, it was only Sunday when I was chasing him out of the flower beds for eating my plants.

I know putting him to sleep was the right thing to do but I just don't understand how this could have happened. His cage was cleaned regularly and although because of his age I had to clean his behind, this was never an issue. It happened so quickly and I feel really guilty, if only I had noticed sooner.

Sorry this is a bit of a depressing intro, a lot of people can't believe how I can get so upset over a rabbit.

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

I am so sorry to hear about your bun passing on. It is a rough time getting over a bun. Just keep in mind that we are always here to help you.

Aww :cry: Sorry to hear about your baby. We all understand on here, and we all understand how hard it it to lose our buns. A lot of people on here have lost buns and will fully understand what you are going through and how difficult it is. :(

welcome to the forum though, we are all a little mad (some more than others :lol: :lol: :lol: ) and we are ALL bunny mad!!!! :lol: :lol:

Binky free lil George xxxx

Hiya kim sorry about your bunny. I m new to this site but i d like to say they re all great ( if mad ). flystrike is a big worry for me and my grumpy old man thumper. hes 7 yrs old and cant quite keep himself as clean as he should. he knows when he s got a mucky bum and runs to hide in his straw. but as i keep telling him its for his own good.

Hi and welcome to the Forums :D I am so very sorry to hear that you lost George though :( Please give Henry a hug from me and I hope that he feels better soon.

Binky free at the Bridge George xxx

Hiya and welcome :wave:

So sorry to hear about the loss of your bun, our furry little friends certainly leave a big gap when they departe :(

Hi
I've just lost my bunny to flystrike too, although she looked like she was going to make it, a week later her immune system started to give up and she finally died on Saturday.
Her name is Nougat and there's a tribute to her in General Chat.
We all understand how absolutely devastating it is to lose a much loved bunny. and everyone is so great at supporting and helping each other through good and bad times.

You poor thing :(
I'm new here too, but know that everybody who posts here understands.

Big hugs to you and Henry.
W
xx

Awww I'm sorry to hear about your wee bunny George - its been a real bad year this year as its been so humid and there seems to have been more flies around than usual.

Binky Free little George.

Back