• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Got new bunny(beautiful)....questions

angora mommy

Young Bun
So as you all know i got my beautiful new black english angora this weekend....she is beautiful. but i have some questions...to begin with, her poo is a little moist and wet and since she is not trainned yet it will get stuck to her fur when she lays on it or sits on it, then i have to cut little chunk of hair out casue its all mushed in hair...is that normal for her poo to be moist and wet? and also she will pee in one spot then when i put the litterbox there she will either go next to it or in another corner....with my other one where he went i put the litterbox there and he went in the litterbox......can some bunnies not be trained??? how can i encourage her to go in litterbox? Thanks for all your help~

one more thing....my male (just fixed a week ago) bunny will poop and leave a trail all around her cage...is that normal? why is he doing that?

To the Angoras sticky poo she is getting to much rich food you need to put her on mainly hay and very few pellets. The littertraining thing i can't help you with you will just need to be patient XX

My two house bunny's are only partially litter trained and they stil have acidents on the bed! Tut Tut! But they poop everywhere so unfortuatly i have no idea! sorry XX

angora mommy said:
thanks phil.....do you by any chance know why my other bunny will poop leaving a trail all around her cage???

she is in his territory and he is remarking it unfortunatelty i wont settle until he gets used to her being there!

Thanks rocket......i guess i will have to get used to seeing a trail there for a while :lol: any tips on litter training.....like i sd when she has decided on a corner i put the litterbox there and she will go next to it or pick another corner...any tips on how to encourage her? see im worried about that, my boyfriend and i are moving into apartment in couple of months and if she never picks up littertraining....i won't be able to keep her or shell have to be in cage :cry: and i don't think its fair to have one in cage and one out :cry:

I know this is a bit disgusting, but if you go to a pet shop and get a corner litter tray (nice and big) and put her poos in it on some straw, she should eventually start to use it. Rabbits usually poo in one corner so put the tray with the poos in, in her poo place and she should start to poo there!

As for her being long haired and having runny poos, there is nothing wrong with giving her a trim and a bath down there so it doesnt stick as much. Just make sure you do it safely!

Baby wipes and shampoo are fantastic.

When she does a wee mop up with kitchen roll and put the wee soaked paper in the litter box, put her poo in there too. If she is a baby it can take time and they are usually much better at using a litter box when they have been spayed.
Your male will probably stop pooing round her cage in a few weeks when his hormones have died down, i think it takes about 4 weeks after neutering.

oh estelle :shock: 4 more weeks of poo around her cage...jeez :shock: :shock: :lol: oh well. i have been putting her poop and pee in litter box, that makes me feel better that its just a matter of time. thanks all

Back