• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Preventing fox's

**Bonnie**

Mama Doe
Hi all,

I got a new drwaf lop about a month ago. He has a hutch on legs in the garen right by the patio doors.

He is out supervised in the garden/house for 2 hours in the morning and then 4 hours in the evening (longer at weekends). Anyway, i get sooo worried about fox's.

I live on a busy road & busy high street, but apparently that doesn't stop fox's from wondering around!! I saw a dead fox the other day so there are definately some near me.

At night i cover and practially baracade Alfie's hutch, plus there is a light sensor. My bedroom is also close so any noise i can hear!

What can i do to protect the hutch more during the day?? im not so worried at night because a fox wouldn't even know he was there (i don't think)

Thanks all....this worrying about him at work is driving me nuts :(

PS there is no way i can keep them inside, absolutely no room! We are getting a shed soon which is for gardening stuff so i couldn't convert it for Alfie, and keeping him in the shed all day in a hutch seems cruel!

Make sure that your Hutch is secure and you have a good lock on it, if you have a run ensure that it is well weighted down. You could also try putting a cover over it at night as this will help to deter the foxes and make the hutch and run harder to get into.

For hutches... make sure that the mesh is proper weld mesh not chicken wire. Chicken wire is usualy hexagon sort of shape with each hole join with twists around the next wire. The weld mesh is usually squares/rectangles that are joined with a weld in each corner.

Make sure it's firmly fixed - you can by U shapes nails especially for this.

Close the hutch with a bolt and padlock not the wooden twists - these can easily be opened by a fox scratching at them.

For exercise use asecure run - foxes don't just come out at night. Again weld mesh and make sure there is both a roof and a floor. Foxes/rabbits can dig under runs unless there are slabs or a layer of mesh.

Hope that helps,
Tamsin

Thanks guy's.

There is already wire over the hutch but i won't think it looks that secure, i may get some of the proper stuff you mention Tamsin and put it over the top.

I also need to thank the lock as its a twisty heart thing that is cover over by a towel! will get a property bolt for it - thanks!

Any other tips guys??

Back