• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ron's hurt his paw again - Update

without_halo

Alpha Buck
Back in April this year Ron was having problems with one of his pads. Guess what..... the problem is back again.

To be on the safe side we have totally changed their bedding to vet bed and have also covered the full length of their run also in vet bed.

That was problem number 1....

Problem number 2....

On the same paw one of the claws were sticking out sideways, so when we had a closer look his actually claw was broken in 2 and the only thing that was holding it together was the quick. So we gave him the remainder of the baytril we had to ease his pain as he didn't like us touching it. When we checked him sunday after he had had a run, the broken claw was gone.

Since we were out of baytril we gave him some metacam (excuse spelling), which was left over from his paw problem last time.

And here I thought all our problems were over.... last night DH had a nightmare..... he kept muttering "ron gone running free" when he woke up he was crying his heart out :cry: (i think you can get the jist of the dream) which in turn made me cry because he grabbed my hand in his sleep and held it to his cheek. I asked him why he done that and he said he was holding Ron to his face!.

As you probably can guess it was a bit of an emotional night. We then spent the next 30 minutes just talking (this was at 1.30am).

So I got up an extra 10 minutes earlier to get Ron from the hutch so when DH woke up he could see him.

Have got to phoe the vets now!!!

Oh poor wee Ron XX Give him big bunny snuiggles from us and let us know how he gets on with the vet XXX

Will do Phill

His vets appointment is at 5.50 this evening. They will probably bandage his leg up again and put him on metacam for about a week or so. That is what got rid of the problem last time.

I think they think he has a skin allergy on that one pad because none of his other pads are affected.

Just need to calm DH down escpecially after last night.

The vet has decided to bandage his paw up also using bitter spray on it to stop him chewing it.

Unfortunately the bitter spray we have is having no effect on him. He seems to quite enjoy it :shock:

Because we caught it early the vet seems to think just by covering it, it will heal itself, so Ron is very glad he doesn't have to have any medicine. She was really impressed that we caught the problem in its early stages.

They want to check his paw on Friday so back to the vets again.

I'm glad to hear that you caught it early and that Ron is going to be okay. Its even better that he doesn't have to have any of that yukky medicine :lol: Me and the buns are sending him tons of ~~~~~~~ positive, healing vibes ~~~~~~~ for a very speedy recovery :D

Back