• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hair stuck in eye

Today when I went to put Zack back into the shed I noticed he had a big hair sticking right out of the corner of his eye, his eye was opened and it didn't look like it was bothering him, but when I went to take it out it was very long, about 4 inches long and was really deep in his eye, it came out easily but when I pulled it out a few bits of white stringy gunge came out on the hair as well. I think all the hair came out as I didn't really have to pull at it so don't think any broke off, his eye looks ok now it's out, no discharge and his actual eye looks bright and he has it open just like the other. What do you think I should do, should I just keep an eye on it and watch that it doesn't turn nasty? I am happy to take him to the vet but I don't really think the vet will really be able to do anything as such now the hair is out.

Love
Rachel xx

hi its probably a hair has got in his eye from him moulting, it happens here all this time! the gunge white stuff is eye discharge (like the sleep you get in your eye to remove foreign bodies, really would not woory and dont think it would warrant a vet trip but you can if it puts your mind at rest! :D

he is a short hair bunny so the hair must have been from me or someone else, I will just keep a good watch on him, not that I don't anyway! Here is Zack so you can see who I'm talking about. Thank you for your quick responses.

Zackongrass.jpg

Rachel x

*Rawr* he looks gorgeous, I love black bunnies. You wouldn't mind if I came and stole him would you :wink:

animallover1989 said:
he is a short hair bunny so the hair must have been from me or someone else, I will just keep a good watch on him, not that I don't anyway! Here is Zack so you can see who I'm talking about. Thank you for your quick responses.

Zackongrass.jpg

Rachel x

rachel all on my bunnys have short hair all 17! but they still moult!

I think she meant that the hair being 4inches long it couldn't have been his! ;)

Just keep an eye on it (excuse the pun) to make sure it doesn't get infected.

Caz

Thank you, at least I know it's nothing to worry about, I'll just keep an eye on it.

I did mean that it can't be one of his because of the length, I know all rabbits moult, mine do terrible. Sorry if that comment confused anyone!

Thank you again, you are a very helpful bunch.

Rachel x

AlisonA said:
*Rawr* he looks gorgeous, I love black bunnies. You wouldn't mind if I came and stole him would you :wink:

No you don't!, keep your hands off him :lol: *Runs off to check he is still where I left him*

Rachel x

aaw im sure he will be just fine. My simba had a piece of hay stuck in his eye and his face was wet and he wouldnt open his eye for a day. I got the hay out and washed his eye and face. The following evening his eye is bright and no more goo coming out. A member on here said to wash it with cooled boiled water with a little salt in it. I used cotton wool pads.

Even there is no problem, at the time after you pull that hair, you should have given him Natural Tear Drop, which is artificial tear w/o preservative. It makes his eye comfortable. It's safe to use on human or animal as it is nothing but tears.

I would do that 2 times /days for 1 - 2 days for cleansing effect.

Back