• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lupin not himself

hi, i'm new to bunnies and brought home lupin three days ago. for the first couple of days he was really inquisitive and investigated everything. today he's been really quiet and hasn't rushed to his food and wolved it down like he has been doing. he's eaten a bit but just doesn't seem to have the energy he did.
i've been totally neurotic about everything rabbit related since he came to us, should i be worried or is it normal for him to be so quiet?
thanks

hi there maybe hes just settling in.

what have you been feeding? have you contuinued to feed what he was on prior comin to you? is he drinking and pooing?

eve x

Is he still drinking water and making normal poos? If so then he might just be tired and having a lazy day! I still get scared when my buns are asleep for hours in at a time, it is okay to worry!

he's been eating half what he was on before and half veggies, which we're not sure if he's been fed before, we forgot to ask in the shelter.
I haven't seen him drinking today and the water level hasn't gone down much so i'm a bit worried about that. i think he's pooing, there's so much poo it's hard to tell what's new and what isn't!

bunnygolightly said:
he's been eating half what he was on before and half veggies, which we're not sure if he's been fed before, we forgot to ask in the shelter.
I haven't seen him drinking today and the water level hasn't gone down much so i'm a bit worried about that. i think he's pooing, there's so much poo it's hard to tell what's new and what isn't!

you should not really be feeding veg in large quantites if you dont know know whether there used to it or not, how old is your rabbit!

if you clean there hutch every day you can work out if they are pooing, i would have a feel of the tummy and see if its hard or lumpy if so he may have bloat!

It's important that any changes to a rabbits diet are done gradually. So if you swap food brands you do it over 1-2 weeks gradually mixing the new in with the old. Any new foods such as vegetables should be introduced gradually in small quanities so they can get used to them.

A Eve says - clean him out so you can tell whether he's producing poo's still.

If a rabbit stops eating/pooing it's potentially very serious - even fatal. Rabbits are designed to eat continually and if they don't their gut shuts down and they can die.

It might not be a problem... we're not trying to scare you but it's important you assess how serious it is so you know if/when its time for a vet.

Tam

thanks everyone. he's 1-2 years old, he was abandoned and picked up by a shelter so we don't know any background.
we've just been sitting watching him and he's been eating and pooing (in his litterbox, bonus!), his poos have been completely normal so i don't think he's got an upset tummy.
we've been avoiding cleaning his hutch out (except the litter box) because he's still really nervous and we didn't want to upset him, which also makes poking his tummy a bit difficult!
i think i'm being overly cautious, he's probably exhausted from the last couple of days.
if the water level in his bottle hasn't gone down by tomorrow morning i'll contact the shelter.

Was he using a bottle in the shelter? It's possible he hasn't had a bottle before and doesn't know how to work one. Try giving him a bowl to just incase :D

Glad to hear he's pooping/eating :D

Tam

yeah, he was using a bottle and has been drinking out of it for the last couple of days.
thanks for your help! i'll check him again in the morning.

Welocme to the world of being a paranoid bunny Mum :wink: I've taken mine to the Vets with symptoms as vague as "he doesn't seem himself" only to find that Totti had a bout of gut stasis, which can be a killer (don't want to alarm you). Same thing with Brody. About a month ago, I thought that Totti wasn't his normal lively self so did what Eve suggested and felt his tum. I'm no expert and couldn't feel any bloat (to be honest I wouldn't know what I was feeling for). I gave him Calpol and a tummy massage and intended to take him to the Vets the next morning if he was still the same but voila... he was back to normal so it could possibly have been wind. I agree with the others and would suggest limiting the veg (and would avoid the windy ones like cabbage, broccoli). p.s. I've even taken poo samples into the Vets :oops: :lol:

it's hard to tell if he's himself or not as we haven't had time to get to know him yet. i think he's just settling in, all of his food was gone by this morning, he'd been drinking and his litter tray was well used.
i've cut down on the vegetables, it was hard - he loves them so much! but i know - what rabbit loves isn't always what's best for him!

bunnygolightly said:
it's hard to tell if he's himself or not as we haven't had time to get to know him yet. i think he's just settling in, all of his food was gone by this morning, he'd been drinking and his litter tray was well used.
i've cut down on the vegetables, it was hard - he loves them so much! but i know - what rabbit loves isn't always what's best for him!
thats sounding positive :thumb:

Back