• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poppys eyes/Face

Groovychick1804

Warren Scout
This problem on his feet has been going on along time, they arent sore or anything they are just really dirty and on a white rabbit they stand out a mile! The vet said he cant be washing himself properly but he damn well does!!! I have bathed him to try and get it off but this has made no difference at all!

I took Poppy my 6 year old white netherland dwarf to the vets about his eyes they were runny na slightly closed! The vet gave him drops whic hopened them up but they were still runny. On Wed I took him again this time he got a course of Baytril to take this has made no visible notice, so another trip to the vets will be taken. I feel like im putting through trama because it is all os different for him first he has to go in the box and the nin the car then to the vets. I forgot to say he is blind he has cateracts (sp?) Do tou think this will be causing his eyes to run?

Also I thought his teeth are long, they shouldnt be he is out in the garden running freely whn anyone is home, he wont eat carrots and doesent eat much grass. the vet said they were a little long but nothing major.

Im sure hes not a rabbit you know! He wont at hay, carrots, grass. I picked some lovely leaves the other day he jsut rubbed his chin on them as if to say what are you giving me these for! He also has a cushion and a blanket and teddy ni his cage!

Sorry about the long post!

Hiya,

Has the vet checked out Poppy's back teeth? Runny eyes and not eating hay would certainly hint towards possible problems with the teeth.

How long has he had cateracts? What does the vet think caused them? Things like EC can cause them not just old age.

When you say his feet are dirty, is that his back feet or front feet, the bottom or down the sides?

Diry front feet on the inside of the leg can be a sign of discharge from the nose... they wipe their nose with their feet so there nose is clean but their feet are dirty.

If you're not happy with what your vet is telling you then maybe you could try getting a second opinion.

Best wishes,
Tamsin

He has never eaten hay really, im positive hes not a rabbit at heart, just looks like one!

Hes had cateracts for about 2 months, think he just put it down to old age! What other things cause cateracts?

Both Poppys front and back feet are mucky, he dowesent seem to sneeze his nose has no discharge. I think it is mud etc but im not sure!

There is only one vet in the area the next one is 45 minutes away so its way too far. The vet I go to has different vets and twice I have been its been a different vet!

Back