• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Charlie's Snuffles update!

Sarah_Jane

Alpha Buck
Well Charlie got ut on Baytril for 2weeks then he had his check up at the vets. He was much better-but i had heard him sneeze a few times but not often. The vet was pleased with him too and said his chest was clear and to take him off of the Baytril and keep an eye on him.

The vet said only bring him back if he has really thick discharge from his noise!

Lastnight i went to give him a cuddle and he was all stuffed up and he had some snot on his nose which i wiped off and this morning he has a wet nose!

What would people suggest to do now? Keep an eye on him to see how it goes? But i am worried the longer i leave it the worse he might get?

I dont really want to put him on Baytrill twice aday for the rest of his life...is there any other way around it?

I would have thought you should have kept him on the baytril for longer, until all the symptoms, including the sneezing was gone. Stopping too soon risks refining the bacteria so that obnly the strongest survives - obviously not a good idea. That is how resistance to an anti-biotic builds up. At least another course seems to me the way to go. That wouldn't necessarily mean he would have to be on it for the rest of his life, although it may come to that :?

I have to agree . Cheeky was on baytril twice a day during bad flare ups and then once a day once it had calmed down . Then we had a break for a week and then put him back on it once a day and again twice if it flared up . The one week off then three weeks on did work for cheeky . My advice would be to go back to the vets and see what they suggest .

I would have thought a longer course would have been better, but bearing in mind that this is not going to go away i would only resort to the batril when he is unwell with it.When he has a bad episode of it as u know his chest will be weezy and he will be very bunged up.Then he would benifit from the batril. val

Back