• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Babies born today....one rejected!

Vicki

Alpha Buck
Hello, My neighbours french lop gave birth through the night, and when we looked we nocticed all but one was in the nest. We was very careful to get her scent on our hands before we moved it back into the nest, however she wasnt having any of it! No longer had we put it in the nest she was taking him back out! We tried once more but the sam thing happend again!
I was wondering what she thought was wrong with this baby as to why she should reject it? The baby she has chosen to reject is noticeably larger than the others and it skin is black-not pink like the rest! Would this be the reason why it is rejected?
We now have it laying in a box with a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel underneath it, and we have also took some of the hay and mums fur from the nest to cover the baby. We have been feeding it Goats milk as advised by the vets.
I was wondering whether this is a common thing, and what you think made her reject this baby? Also she had seven babys and she has only six teets? to feed them with, would this be a reason?
Anyone who has any information to give me-as to how best to look after the rejected baby, could you please do so! I am really worried for this baby and want to do everything i can for it!
Thanks for taking time to read this!
Vicki

hi there

i would say she has rejected i because she cant cope feeding them all and has rejected him because he is weaker than the rest despite you saying its bigger than the rest, rabbits tend to cull or reject surplus lits when they have too many and cant cope with the demand!

i would say the chance of this bunny surviving at this early stage are slim but you could give it a chance if you wish but feeding goats or kitty milk every four hours during the night as well and you need to stimulate the kit to go to the toilet also,as this is what the mother does when feeding her young! gentle rub its bottom with a warm cloth !

good luck

eve x

ive heard aswell when feeding the babies they should be fed whilst laying on their backs as they would do this while feeding from their mothers and also you need to make them go to the toilet when they feed you can do this by rubbing a wet cotton bud like the ones you use to clean it ears on its bum

Hi, i forgot to say that the vet also told us to use a little bit of baby oil to rub gently around their bums to stimulate them, would you advise this?
Thanks for the quick replys!
Vicki

Vicki said:
Hi, i forgot to say that the vet also told us to use a little bit of baby oil to rub gently around their bums to stimulate them, would you advise this?
Thanks for the quick replys!
Vicki

never heard of that!

A similar thing happened to another forum member recently and despite hand-rearing the kit did not survive. I think the mums are able to spot deformaties and problems so reject the kits that they believe are not worth feeding to protect the stronger ones.

Caz

Dont give up on the poor little thing!!

I would keep him/her warm and feed regularly, I bet you are doing the best you can!!

Keep us updated!!

Vicki said:
gizmo said:
its very hard hand rearing baby bunnies (i had six to rear).
good luck :thumb:

Did they all survive? Ive heard that not many do, is this right?

no they all died :cry: 2 of them were getting big but they at a week old all the others died within a few days. it is very hard and i was so worn out after only a week.

Hi thats so sad. I have a feeling the same will happen with this little one, however he/she is still going stong at the mo, fingers crossed! However its still only two days old. All of the others in the nest with mum are doing fine aswell, mum is great with them! Keeping them covered in their nest! Shes so friendly it feels like she looks to us as an equal! :lol:

I will be keeping you all updated on how their doing! And thanks for the great help!

Vicki

Back