• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

please could you give me some advise?

mary

New Kit
hello there bunny community
I am new to this lark so please bear with me...
My 3year old bun 'muffy' died on tuesday....I had taken her to the vet with symptoms of complete loss of appetite,disorientation and bleeding from her rear end ....at the time my vet said he could not think what the problem was and prescribed her a course of antibiotics.........she died about 6 hours later from what I now believe ( from reading on this website)was VHD.
I am pretty devastated and would like to get another rabbit but am afraid of placing it in any danger from contamination in my home....please could you give me advice?
Also I see that VHD could be hard to diagnose sometimes showing few symptons or none at all and muffy is unlikely to have survived anyway but I was wondering if my vet should have known about the disease?
many thanks in advance :cry:

Hi,

Was Muffin not vaccinated for VHD? I think they could have done a PMortum to discover the cause , its the only way of knowing for sure.

If your bunny was female and not spayed it could have been cancer of the uterus also.

I'm sorry for your loss and if it were me I would leave it for atleast a month and clean everything with a really good cleaner which you can buy from your vets or on the internet from a company call vetark.

Hope this helps and welcome to the forum evan if it is a sad time for you.

Maureen

I am sorry about your loss as well. If your pass away rabbit lives in a cage, just clean the cage.

If she hopped around the house in the past, just vaccum the house and use carpet cleaner to clean the carpet. Use wet towel to clean the walls, if the place Muffy urinates is surround by cardboard paper, then throw away the old cardboard paper.

Whatever that bowl of food that was left over on the day she passed away, throw the whole thing away and clean the pellet & water bowl w/ dishwasher.

sorry to hear about your sad loss, i would do as others have said and clean everything thouroughly using disinfectant then lots of rinsing. rabbits can be vaccinated from quite a young age bu they need boosting every year.

I am very sorry to hear about Muffin. It does sound like VHD, and your vet certainly shuld know about the disease, but whether he should have recognised it is hard to say. The rabbits usually die so quickly that a vet probably rarely gets to see a live one with it. You should let him know though to pass the info on to other rabbit owners so they can think about vaccinating. What area are you in? It is good for rabbit owners on here to know if there is VHD in their area too.

If you get another rabbit be sure to get one already vaccinated. Many rescues vaccinate so a good rescue would be the place to get one. Thorough disinfection of everything your rabbit has been near would be a good idea too, but is not enough for you to get a new rabbit without it having been vaccinated.

The recommended time lapse is 4 mths after having vhd, i would not get a new rabbit untill then.vhd can be hard to digagnoes so dont be too hard on your vet. Post mortoms are very costly, just make sure your next bunny has the jabs for vhd and dont forget the myxi one as well.Were do u live as this would help other owners to know if there was a case of vhd in there area.val

thankyou for all your kind advice... I live in edinburgh and if it was indeed VHD I am at a loss to know how muffy contracted it.......I'm not going to get another bunny at least for the time being.... and will certainly make sure the little thing is protected when I do
many congratulations on a wonderful forum.....you've helped me a lot
much love
mary :shock:

mary said:
thankyou for all your kind advice... I live in edinburgh and if it was indeed VHD I am at a loss to know how muffy contracted it.......I'm not going to get another bunny at least for the time being.... and will certainly make sure the little thing is protected when I do
many congratulations on a wonderful forum.....you've helped me a lot
much love
mary :shock:
Im very sorry for your loss. We lost 10 rabbits in June (i think! Guys correct me if im wrong, the time was a blur) to VHD.

VHD can be carried by anything and everything! You could have brought it home on your shoe. It is a very nasty disease! The time laps before getting a new rabbit is two weeks from the last death. As VHD can live in the siol for up to 4 years you will need to get any new rabbit vaccinated for it a soon as you get them! Rabbits can be vaccinated for VHD from being 10 weeks old.

Back