• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

is my lionhead a mixed breed??

allyandtobey

Alpha Buck
i've noticed from pictures of other people's lionhead buns that they all have sticky up pointy ears, but mine's ears are long and lop frequently... could he be a mix? or do some lionheads have this sort of ears? he has the old mane and "skirt" but his ears aren't extra fluffy at all.

have you got a picture? i think there is a breed called lion lop now! so they would have a mane but there ears lop!

this is the best piccy i could get, he doesnt often show his face when i try and take photos! :lol: :shock: but the ears are clear.

lionlop.jpg
[/img]

allyandtobey said:
this is the best piccy i could get, he doesnt often show his face when i try and take photos! :lol: :shock: but the ears are clear.

lionlop.jpg
[/img]

do his ears lop? where did you get him, i cant see how his ears hang very well as he is bent over eating!

he looks like a lion lop to me but then again them ears do look rather large! where dis you get it from? maybe one of the breeders on here can help you better!

amber.jpg

This is my lionhead lop. I read somewhere that they crossed a lionhead and a holland lop to get this breed

If you look on a thread in this section 'introducing Simba' he is a Lionhead Lop. I have two Lionheads and they are both very different except for their ears. I have som pics but when I try and upload them all we get are red crosses and then people cant get in to see pics (i must be doing something wrong).

What beautiful bunnies!!!

Lionheads are a relativley new breed and I have been told that they aren't accepted as a breed by the Rabbit association yet!!

I think that they come in all shapes and sizes and are bred by mixing a long haired breed for example an angora, with almost any other breed - from lop to sticky up eared!!

I have had two lionheads now and they were both very different. Jasper was the hairyest!!

They seem to be a very enjoyable breed to keep, as long as you manage the long hair properly!!

However, I believe that they are becoming increasingly popular with pet shops because of their cute and fluffy look - which will make them sell better. - NOT good.

I have also heard that one of the faults, newly emerging with this breed is that they are prone to fits. That is what Jasper died of.

it's strange you say about fits, i haven't seen tobey have any fits but twice i've seen him flop down for a sleep and then suddenly he seems to have an all body muscle spasm, its not major and he doesn't seem bothered by it but its like this jolting that goes on for a few seconds then stops... any idea what this could be?

Jasper used to fall asleep and then jolt when he nearly fell over??? Maybe its as harmless as that! I wouldn't worry!!

They usually die of fits I think, nothing to worry about too much, I guess, if it happens it happens, I dont think a little rabbit would survive a fit??

They are supposed to be prone to epileptic fits, but my Ralf is 3 now and has never had any trouble (touch wood). They are a lovely breed, and my Ralf is such a grump at times, but loves a cuddle too! PS your bunny is gorgeous, loves those big ears!! :lol:

Back