• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

neutered???

daisy

Young Bun
Hi. i have a mixed breed rabbit, almost 5 months old now. do u think it is really necessary to get him neutered?
-Daisy

well that depends on whether you are going to find him a girl friend, and if you are then YES! he does need neutering, or if he is behaving hormonal then thats another reason to get him done.

other than that the answer would be no!

eve x

i think you should get your boy neutered then he can have a nice girlie friend for company!

also males can sometimes be very frustrated because they have lots of raging hormones, so it will be nicer for him if he is neutered.

where abouts are you from!!!! it says ask you on the side of your post!

sophie

I wasn't sure about getting my bun neutered, but when he started showing hormonal behaviour like spraying and aggression I decided it was the best thing for him: he became much more sociable and relaxed. When they start spraying it's pretty horrible, I couldn't go near him without him trying to spray me and he smelled pretty bad.
Neutering also gives you the option of getting your rabbit a companion.

However, there are some people on here who have un-neutered males who are quite happy, every rabbit is different and some might not spray or act as territorial.
I was hoping my rabbit would be like that as he has other health problems and I was scared about him going under anasthetic, but it got to the point when his behaviour was so antisocial that we decided we had to get him done. Watch out for your bun circling your feet and honking: these are the first signs he is going to start spraying!!

Neutering is a relatively low risk operation now, just make sure you find a vet with plenty of rabbit experience if you choose to get it done.

Kate and Jack
:D

uh oh - just today my bun started honking and circling me, he's only just turned 12 weeks but his bits are totally visible, do u think if i get him done in the week it will be soon enough to stop him start spraying? he's in the house so i really dont want that to happen! plus he's already over taken the sofa as a litter tray so dont want it to be the whole room aswell :lol:

allyandtobey said:
uh oh - just today my bun started honking and circling me, he's only just turned 12 weeks but his bits are totally visible, do u think if i get him done in the week it will be soon enough to stop him start spraying? he's in the house so i really dont want that to happen! plus he's already over taken the sofa as a litter tray so dont want it to be the whole room aswell :lol:

he is to young to be neutered vets like to do this at around 20 weeks old for bucks!

Thanx for all your help. I'll wait for him to get a little older, and in the mean time, I'll find an experienced vet. I dont plan on getting another bun, because i am home most of the time, and he hasn't started spraying. He was only aggressive towards me twice, but i think that was about 2 weeks ago. so if his actions are tolerable, i might just put it off for a while! and by the way Sophie, i am from ontario. thanx again for all your help! :D
-Daisy

that's what i thought but everyone keeps telling me as long as his bits have dropped then he's ready and that it can be as early as 12 weeks :? but ideally i wanted to wait until he was 4 months at least. :shock:

age doesnt really matter it is the size of the bunny and whether his balls have dropped!

our vet has done some of our boys at 11 weeks because they have been rather hormonal and have been big enough, and they have all been fine. although saying that our vet does operate on about 5 of our rabbits at least a week so she knows what she is doing when it comes to neutering our rescue buns.

i would take him down to a vet and see what she says! if he is on his own it isnt as if you need to get him done immediately it is when they are in with a girl that you have to worry!

sophie

Back