• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Extra Caecals

Diddeen

Wise Old Thumper
Hi.. me again.
Ever since i got back from my holiday Nala( i think thats the culprit) has been leaving those caecal poops on the cage floor. The first few days i put it down to stress/change of hay etc after having a week at the lovely Cheryl's. However i have now been back about a month and it is still going on. I have tried reducing the pellets but they still happen. I dont want to stop pellets all together as Simba isnt exactly chunky.. so i feel he needs them. I try to give him most of his before he goes to bed so that i know she doesnt eat the lot! They also have carrot/cabbage/coriander/rocket each evening and lots of dried grass which they love. They have never eaten alot of hay. Cheryl did mention she thought Nala had put weight on but im not too sure if she has or not, without weighing her.
Is there any other reasons she would do these caecals and not eat them? other than too much food?

its weird eh. The strange thing is that their diet has been the same for months and she has just suddenly started leaving them. I did change them onto A&P pellets from SS.. but was fine on A&P until a few weeks later when this started.

Evo is the same, even after I've reduced his pellets. He isn't exactly tubby at the moment, so I don't want to reduce them further, but I'd love to know why he's started doing it. He eats plenty of hay and has probiotics every other day.

What time of day do you feed them and what time of day does she leave them lying around? Maybe you're feeding her just at the time she'd usually eat them so she's eating the dry food instead? (Thats a guess rather than a firm idea) :D

You could try hiding all the other food in their hay - that can encourage them to eat more.

Tam

hi

dried grass is richer than hay - could it be that? It's got more protein and fibre than hay. They maybe don't need pellets at all if they eat a lot of dried grass? Maybe? Jus wonderin? :)

and like Tam says - time of feed - they usually produce caecals 3 or 4 hours after a feed of veg, pellets or whatever.

My girls leave them when they get distracted mid poop too - does she have a quiet time to eat them without Simba jumping around or anything noisy going on, about 3 hours after eating?

Hobbes used to do them all the time. I didn't think he was overfed but my vet said he was overweight. On the vets suggestion I've stopped feeding pellets altogether. He has hay and 3 different veg a day and the sqidgy poos have stopped. I was worried as Phoebe definately isn't overweight but she seems fine without pellets too.

I feed them both pellets and veg in the evening around 11pm ish, sometimes a bit earlier. They have dried grass all the time so go in and out their cage eating that. Im not sure if the extra caecals appear overnight or during the day as often i go to work in the morning so dont see until later in the day that they are squished all over the cage floor.. theres usually about 4 or so but today there was about 6 of them. Im pretty sure its Nala leaving them as she often has it on her feet. Both of them are in the cage overnight/when im at work but they are usually fairly quiet. The only thing i was wondering was if i feed them too much in one go.. should i maybe feed them veg in the morning and pellets at night or whatever rather than all together? They do get the odd treat of a bit of dried bread/fruit mid afternoon/teatime but thats it. Also another thing ive noticed recently is that Simba ocassionally tries to mount Nala so i wonder if he is for some reason a little randy again and annoying her in the cage? I really dont know but its horrid when they are squished all over the floor so would love to find out the problem.

I have this problem with my house bunny nemo. at first i tried changing feeding habits etc but it didnt make much difference . he can be fine for weeks then start dropping them everywhere again. at one point i wondered if it was a mobility problem as he had a serious back problem last year which partialy paralysed him . but then one day after watching him jump on and off the sofa i realised this was rubbish . hes obviously fully recovered. personaly i ve come to the conclusion that he s just lazy and cant be bothered to eat them. little monkey!

:lol: :lol: what a cheeky bunny!

Well Nala is still doing it. This morning there were 3 huges bunches of caecal pellets :? I do wonder if she is putting weight on... any ideas how i can reduce her weight? She runs around quite a bit altho some days she is a bit lazy :roll: Maybe she is finding it harder to reach.
Should i cut out her pellets and just feed simba his separately? Would she be ok to have veg and dried grass?

it could be a problem with simba there to get her to lose weight i was told by my vet to cut out the pellets all together and just give hay and some green veg

They have both been out in the lounge since 9am this morning. At this point i gave them both a little piece of parsley. I had a little snooze and when i got up again at about 1pm i found 2 big caecals behind the sofa :? Surely a piece of parsley wouldnt make them?? Other than that they have of course got access to their dried grass. I cant figure out who's doing them but im pretty sure its Nala. I will try feeding Simba his pellets in a bit and just veg and hay when i put them to bed later and see if that does the trick.

Back