• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

urgent help please

kateo

New Kit
Hi,

Just come home to find my longhaired bunny looking all pathetic. He's breathing really quickly and when I pick him up he kicks away a bit to escape (normally kicks a lot) and sits back in the corner of the cage. He's a bit floppy (feels a bit like picking up a sleepy child). He is about 3/4months old and had been looking fine earlier (about 4hours ago). He got neutered about two weeks ago but his scar looks fine - no obvious injuries. Other bunny is also flopping out so they're obviously warm 0but other rabbit is breathing normally.
I'm thinking possible heat exhaustion so I've just wet his ears and am considering giving him a shave!
Any help appriciated

Forgot to say - just spent a loads at the vets this week plus they are now closed exept for emergencies so could dowith sortingthis out myself if I can

Hiya,

I'd suggest contacting an emergency vet for advice they may need treatment. Heat stroke is potentially fatal and they can go down hill very quickly.

Lying them on a damp towel and wiping their ears with cool water will help whilst you get further advice.

Another thing to check is that their water bottle works. Also make sure they have a shady area throughout the day. As the sun moves it can turn a nice shady spot into a scorching one.

Don't do anything to cool them rapidly like dipping them in water etc.

Tam

I've brought them both in and put the fan on and sat him near an ice pack with a towel wrapped round it. I've also syringe fed him some water which he drank really quickly - they've got two water bottles and a dish outside so if one's broken they should still be able to drink.
Anyway he seems a lot better now - his breathing is back to normal and he's having a little hop round every so often. Just have to keep an eye on them both now and make sure they eat something

Thanks for all your help

Back