• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Simba got hay in his eye

Diddeen

Wise Old Thumper
Last night my two were out in the lounge.. i didnt notice anything wrong when i let them out and htey did their usual thing which is to hide behind the sofa for most of the evening. When it was bedtime Nala came running to her cage and hopped in but Simba sat by the room door which is odd. I went up to get him and found that one eye was shut and the fur on that side of his face was soaking wet! :shock: Ive no idea when he did it or how long it had been like that. Anyway i got some cotton wool and warm water and tried to bathe it a little.. he didnt like it but eventually i managed to open his eye and could see a strand of something. It took a while but eventually got it out and it was a very fine strand of hay about an inch or more long! :shock: OUCH! Well today his eye is still a little runny but he does seem to be opening it ok now. Should i just keep bathing it with warm water or should i just leave it be? There is slight white goo along the bottom of his eye but nothing yellow or green so hopefully that means its not infected. His appetite hasnt gone anyway!! :roll:

I would use warm SALTY water - and don't use warm tap water - get it from the kettle and dilute with cold tap water - hot water tanks are full of bacteria (I wear contact lenses so I know these things :wink: )

Poor baby - hope he's well soon!

Back