• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

woodshavings?

Wouldn't really recommend them really. I did use Woodshavings in the hutch, but now i use all hay as bedding. I only have a few shavings in the litter tray at the moment.

They are not recommended I am sure I have read on here somewhere that they give off toxic fumes. My buns are litter trained and I use newspaper with a layer of hay on the top.

all mine are on shavings and have never had any problems, it is mainly the red ones there may be a problem with

i don't have red ones, and i rotate mine for the gerbils, getting the scent out of them, so they arent so 'woodish'

i let them air for about a month before i use them and i sieve them to rid them of any dust, although they are dust extracted

Wood shavings are very dry and can cause the skin to dry out. If you rub some together in your hands you will see how it feels for your animals to be walking on it all the time. This is why I use megazorb, its much better for them.

Cheryl

hi

woodshavings give off fumes which we find pleasant but which build up in the liver of small animals - not good! the lady with the guinieas I adopted this morning filled their hutch with them and it's given me a headache - so what it's doing to baby guins I dread to think :?

Megazorb will deliver in norfolk/suffolk/cambs, but there are regional suppliers if you've got a car - it's brilliant stuff and very cheap
http://www.megazorb.co.uk/suppliers.htm

Thanks for link,there's a retailer not too far from me.Don't know how I would have got through my first week of having bunnies without everyones help on here!

another point against wood shavings ive found is that if you have long haired breeds the shavings tend to venture into their fur never to be seen again except in the form of a big tangle that can only be got rid of by snipping it out carefully!

Back