• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wood treatment

Hi guys, I am building a new cage for my bunny, he's hopefully getting a girlfried in the coming week ( :D ) I've got a big dog cage and have made a shelf for it, but I'm quite keen to treat the shelf with something to make it waterproof and to just even out the colour. Anything that I use will obviously have to be safe for bunnies if they chew it, which they almost certainly will!!
Does anyone know of any treatments that are safe?
Thanks
Buttonmoon
xx

hi

well don't quote me on this, but I would imagine that a quick-drying, water-based, matt varnish or paint would be OK - there will only be a couple of thin layers on the wood and I don't think it would hurt them if they ate it (it's not like they're going to drink it from the tin :lol: ) I would steer away from colours, but you could always use non-toxic woodstain for fences before varnishing it if you wanted to make it prettier.

If you look at the labels sometimes they safe whether they're pet safe. You could also try looking up the manufacturers contact details and give them a call to check.

The other option would be to stick lino to it. Thats good for being easy to clean.

Tam

hi

If you use lino though be sure and put some wood beading along the edge - if your bunnies are chewers and can get a grip on a loose bit - well they may end up like poor Pepsi did - he ate plastic, roofing felt, carrier bags - anything I couldn't snatch off him fast enough! :(

I've used B & Q and Ronseal wood stains on my hutches and fences. They're non-toxic to animals when dry and can be washed off surfaces (it's water based). Just don't let them drink it whilst it is still wet!

My 5 have chewed the hutches and fences and it's never bothered them. In fact I'd say they must like the taste the amount of chewing they do :roll:

We've used cupinol on our runs and the outside of the hutches and emulsion on the insides everything has been chewed with no problems.

Thanks guys, I think cuprinol will do the job, I've got some of that for my fence!
Just got to wait now until I put him in his new cage! I figured I'd leave it until his new girlfriend comes home so it's new to them both, It's hard tho, I'm incredibly impatient!!! :oops:

If you want brighter colours, I think there's a kid-safe Japlac paint, which I know people have used on and in rat cages. Rats are much more likely to gnaw at bars and wood etc. so I imagine it'd be safe for buns too. And it comes in a variety of different colours.

Back