• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

question for rescues

Denny

Mama Doe
I have often wondered if rescues would knowingly rehome a bun to a breeder or if this question crops up in the adoption process?

the reason I ask is because I notice that some rescues do not neuter or spey their bunnies and wondered if they would know if they were rehoming to a breeder or not :?

Also, would a rescue be happy to rehome a bun even if the bunny was neutered or speyed to a breeder knowing that they are breeding and trying to find homes for their babies?? this seems very confusing to me as I cannot understand why someone who breeds would want to adopt a rescue bun but not keep the babies that they have bred yet are happy to adopt one :? :?

so, would you be happy to rehome a bun to a breeder or even to one who buys from breeders to enter shows :?: :?:

hi

ooh yes - I'm very concerned about this with adopting all the guinea pigs from that breeder tomorrow - I can't really keep 20+ gps, but I'm scared to death of rehoming them incase someone breeds from them - you can't spay guins very easily :?

I just don't know how to protect them from being exploited like this again - the breeder said they're so pretty, and pedigree, that 'it would be a shame NOT to breed from them' - what if someone else looking through guinieapig rehome feels the same way? :?

I'm not a great one for relying on people's word, and neither can I police any 'contract' not to breed - what do rescues do?

i think you should ask for a vet recommendation, and do a routine check up after 6 weeks or so, the trouble is as someone has mentioned before its the time and the people to do it, edana you could always make an empty threat to do a check up at ANY time, after a month, 6 months or even a year, this way no one would be able to as they'd know you'd take them all back if you were to come!

Re: hi

elve said:
ooh yes - I'm very concerned about this with adopting all the guinea pigs from that breeder tomorrow - I can't really keep 20+ gps, but I'm scared to death of rehoming them incase someone breeds from them - you can't spay guins very easily :?

I just don't know how to protect them from being exploited like this again - the breeder said they're so pretty, and pedigree, that 'it would be a shame NOT to breed from them' - what if someone else looking through guinieapig rehome feels the same way? :?

I'm not a great one for relying on people's word, and neither can I police any 'contract' not to breed - what do rescues do?

maybe i you feel strongly about this then you should get all the females spayed!

i dont breed yet but might do at some point my buns will be breed to show and i hope to keep most of them but if i have to rehome thre will be very stricked guide lines for doing this being if they cant keep the bun it comes back all buns will need vacs and nutering as if they are not fit for showing then they are not fit for breeding no bun will go to a child or for prsents ect and id like to see where the buns will live before homing them

kim 106 said:
i dont breed yet but might do at some point my buns will be breed to show and i hope to keep most of them but if i have to rehome thre will be very stricked guide lines for doing this being if they cant keep the bun it comes back all buns will need vacs and nutering as if they are not fit for showing then they are not fit for breeding no bun will go to a child or for prsents ect and id like to see where the buns will live before homing them

so how do you intend making sure the rehomer catsrated or spays the rabbit that you rehome to them kim? also what i would like to know is, if there is a point to recueing and breeding, i dont see how you can do both, it sounds very contradictory to me, you are rescueing bunnies but creating bunnys that also needs homes? i would be very interested in your comments!

Forgive my stupidity, but what exactly does the vet do/say in his/her reference? Is it basically that they have records of your buns being vaccinated/neutered/being taken in straight away if there's a problem/no evidence of breeding etc, or do you pay your vet to visit? Do vets continue to keep computerised records once pets have passed over the bridge, or do they clear them off the system to keep computer space? Presumably you pay them for a reference anyway do you? Sorry for the dumb question, but it's something I have come across before and wasn't really sure what it entails.

maybe i you feel strongly about this then you should get all the females spayed!
But I thought the whole point of the question was that it's hard to spay guineas so you wouldn't be able to do that prior to rehoming?

um i think a home cheeck at 5 -6 mounths would be in order or a vets refrance but as i will only breed a needs must there will not be meney babys up for rehoming

AlisonA said:
Forgive my stupidity, but what exactly does the vet do/say in his/her reference? Is it basically that they have records of your buns being vaccinated/neutered/being taken in straight away if there's a problem/no evidence of breeding etc, or do you pay your vet to visit? Do vets continue to keep computerised records once pets have passed over the bridge, or do they clear them off the system to keep computer space? Presumably you pay them for a reference anyway do you? Sorry for the dumb question, but it's something I have come across before and wasn't really sure what it entails.

a vets reference let the rescue know that this person regularly takes there rabbits to the vets for regular vacinations, neuters/spays and medicals! i am not sure if they would say if you breed or not.

But I thought the whole point of the question was that it's hard to spay guineas so you wouldn't be able to do that prior to rehoming?

this topic was not about how hard it is to spay piggies, i am sure it can be done! it was to ask if rescues would willing let a breeder have a rescue rabbit! :?

AlisonA said:
the vet will know of the client and will just confirm that it is ok to rehome a rabbit to them. when people come to adopt animals from us you know what they are like when you speak to them. getting a vet reference just confirms that they are a responsible pet owner.

vet surgeries have to hold onto files of animals that have died for 7 years, it is a law!

sophie

bunnylove said:
this topic was not about how hard it is to spay piggies, i am sure it can be done! it was to ask if rescues would willing let a breeder have a rescue rabbit! :?
Aaah sorry, it's just that you had quoted the woman talking about piggies before your answer, so I assumed you were responding to that rather than the original topic!

Thanks Sophie - that makes sense. Didn't know that they had to keep records for 7 years!

Interesting question this... Obi-Wan. I have experience of 2 rescues. The first was the RSPCA who speyed Brody and also did a home check. The second one didn't spey and didn't do a home check so you can only draw your own conclusions from that.

As for the question about the Vets reference, I'm glad someone asked that as it was something I had pondered. I wonder if its as worthless as a job reference as I understand that you cannot write a bad reference about someone. :roll:

Please make sure you don't start picking on individuals :)

I think it entirely depends on the circumstances, where someone shows/breeds doesn't mean that they don't have the potential to provide as loving a home as someone that doesn't.

That is why rescues ask questions and do checks. They have to meet the same standards of accomodation and care as anyone else.

As for rehoming unneutered bunnies - a professional breeder/shower isn't going to have any interest in breeding/showing a pet bunny from a rescue. Why bother when they have pedigree ones that are rung and they know the history of.

I would think a pet bunny that was unneutered would be more at risk in a non breeder home - they are more likely to have an 'accidental' litter or decide cute babies might be fun!

It's is good that someone decided to adopt from rescue... I thought that was what we were aiming for? Saying no... you want a pet bunny go breed some extra rabbits seems a little daft.

Tam

Some rescues won't rehome unneutered bunnies (like Bracknell Rabbit Rescue). this means they won't rehome baby rabbits but prevents pregnant/fighting rabbits coming back if the owners didn't take the advice to neuter them.

Others put it into their adoption contract that you mustn't breed from them (I think Greenfields does this?). Technically if you're found to be in breach of these contracts you can be taken to court as they are legally binding.

I've also seen on some websites they require you to get the neutering done when the animal is old enough - either by sending them a confirmation from your own vet or by taking the animal back to the rescue to be done. I guess as long as you have the administrative capability, it enables you to "tick off" those which have been done rather than relying on people's word for it or physically going and checking up on all of them.

this is why i got peach spayed if i dident care then i would hsve breed of her even thow shes a little madam as for her boy friend or lady frend the rescue only has nured spayed buns with vacs thats why i went to them

Tamsin said:

I think it entirely depends on the circumstances, where someone shows/breeds doesn't mean that they don't have the potential to provide as loving a home as someone that doesn't.

That is why rescues ask questions and do checks. They have to meet the same standards of accomodation and care as anyone else.

As for rehoming unneutered bunnies - a professional breeder/shower isn't going to have any interest in breeding/showing a pet bunny from a rescue. Why bother when they have pedigree ones that are rung and they know the history of.

I would think a pet bunny that was unneutered would be more at risk in a non breeder home - they are more likely to have an 'accidental' litter or decide cute babies might be fun!

It's is good that someone decided to adopt from rescue... I thought that was what we were aiming for? Saying no... you want a pet bunny go breed some extra rabbits seems a little daft.

Tam

surely tamsin asking someone to clarify there position is not "picking on someone" its merely asking them to make clearer what they mean!

i think to produce animals that need homes, then rescue others sounds dafter! abit contradictory!

Tamsin said:

Tam

I am not picking on anyone in perticular Tam, but without asking the questions to hear someones else's views it is mighty confusing to understand where some people are coming from at times :? :? :lol: :lol:

To make my own mind on things I have to understand anothers point of view and logic behind their ethics on animal welfare :wink:

I dont dispute that a breeder can offer a loving home as a pet, and yes we are all here with that aim for the rescue buns and, I appreciate that some rescues do not have the finances to neuter/spey or vaccinate the buns that they are rescueing but where I have worries, which is why I ask the question is like this:-

In laymans terms :wink: :lol: :lol:

thought number 1.

1. you have a rescue that does not neuter or spey

2. rescue would not really know whether or not it is a breeder who is looking for a bun, and lets face it, we are seeing quite a few purebreds coming up for re-home :?

3. I doubt a good breeder would go down this path to find a breeding rabbit but a novice back yarder breeder would :wink: I also think that, anyone considering breeding would definately not know the in's and out's of how to breed properly to get the right genes to prevent health issues :? or, what relations can be bred with who :?

thought number 2.

1. you have a bad breeder/novice breeder that has pet rabbits too.

2. breeder is selling (or giving away free) unwanted, un-perfect babies. This to me is adding to the problem in rescues and defeats the object of them taking in rescue rabbits as pets because who's to say that, the babies they are re-homing dont end up in the rescues :( if they want pet rabbits then why not keep the babies that they have bred instead of rehoming them :? my logic tells me that the cycle is never broken in circumstances like this for the rescues who pick up the pieces at there own expense :(

I cannot deny that I have noticed that the rabbits that are un-neutered/speyed seem to be finding homes quicker than those who are neutered/speyed which is why I have raised the question :)

part of my initial question was, would rescues rehome to a breeder even if they were as pets only. I am not having ago at kim but would like to ask the question if she declared to the rescue that did her home check that she is contemplating breeding in the future :?: this would answering part of the question :D

2. breeder is selling (or giving away free) unwanted, un-perfect babies. This to me is adding to the problem in rescues and defeats the object of them taking in rescue rabbits as pets because who's to say that, the babies they are re-homing dont end up in the rescues :( if they want pet rabbits then why not keep the babies that they have bred instead of rehoming them :? my logic tells me that the cycle is never broken in circumstances like this for the rescues who pick up the pieces at there own expense :(

i totally agree denny!

this is the part i dont understand, what sense does it make! :?

eve x

Back