• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

female with a lump

neeshkabeesh

Warren Scout
A couple of months ago I noticed my rabbit Rosie had a small lump on her underside. Its about the size of two peas stuck together and its around where the bottom of her ribcage ends, it feels loose but attached somehow internally through a gap in her ribs. Its not a problem to her, doesn't bother her or affect her mobilty and she doesn't mind letting me have a good feel of what it is, so it mustn't hurt much. When I took her to the vets for her vaccination I showed him and he said just to keep an eye on it.
I keep rats and female rats especially are prone to mammary lumps, Rosie is neutered so she must have a lot less oestrogen in her to make mammary lumps (which is what I think causes the lumps in rats), could it still be a mammary lump even if shes neutered? She turned four years old in March this year.
I'm not worried about it but you know, I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts about it all the same :)

could it possibly be her belly button?? :? I know a dog who has quite a large lump at the base of his ribcage and thats what caused it, he's got an outy!! :lol:

The vet didn't mention that and she hasn't had it all her life, well shes had it maybe 6 months but I've had her 3 years :?

one of mine had a lumpunder her nipple, it would make her produce milk. had her neutered and she had the whole milk duct and nipple removed too as it was suspicious...

Pippa has just had a lump removed from under her armpit. It sounded like yours, didn't feel attached + didn't hurt her although as it grew it bothered her + she stopped eating her fave dry food.

She is 6 years old + had it removed last week. The vet wasn't sure if she would make it through as she was snuffly + had lost nearly a kg in weight but she got through it all and is doing well now :) Although still snuffly, she is eating again (like a piglet, obv making up for all she didn't get while she was feeling poorly!).

If it grows, I would consider getting it removed as the vet said Pippa's lump looks nasty + could have spread :( So glad I had it removed.

Nicola

Ok thanks for your advice :D They're due for their boosters again on Monday so if its a different vet I'll ask for their opinion too and I would definately go for removal if it started to affect her. Hope Pippa gains her weight back!

Thanks :) She is starting to fill out already, that porridge really does the trick and boy does she love it!! What am I gonna do once she is back up to ideal weight, she will still be expecting her porridge!! :lol:

I hope that the lump is nothing to worry about.

Nicola

Back