• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jack has Snuffles

Phill

Wise Old Thumper
Ok well We had noticed over the last couple of days that Jack had a very snotty nose and some very sticky poos! and he just wasn't his normal self, so we popped him to see Hazel tonight as well.

My poor little chap has snuffles. Hazel isn't sure wether it is true snuffles or not. She has said there are two kinds and infectous one and a none infectious one???? the infectious one causes snotty nose, a crackely wheezy chest and usually ruuny eyes. but all Jack has is a very snotty nose. He has a 6 day course of Baytril and Hazel said that if this doesn't clear it then we will test for true snuffles. If it is true snuffles Jack will need to live on his own or with another snuffely bun, but if it is the other one then he can live with his 5 girls and he wont give it to them.

Has anyone ever heard of two kinds of snuffles?? I trust Hazel completley she is excellent with all my buns, she checked Jacks back teeth whillst i was there by sticking her fingers in Jacks mouth and having a feel, which Jack didn't mind one bit and she said there is nothing wrong with his teeth. So for now it's under investigation.

Aww but my poor wee chap is so down in the dumps!

aawww no poor wee jack.. i hope he gets better soon and can stay with all his ladys :wink: Is jack the white lop one?

Awwwwww bless him, lets hope the baytrill does the trick. I don't know much about snuffles so can't help but will be sending him lots of love through the airwaves xxx

Diddeen said:
aawww no poor wee jack.. i hope he gets better soon and can stay with all his ladys :wink: Is jack the white lop one?

yeh chris jack is what we like to call our Vannila ice cream bunny!

And thanks guys i will give Jack some nice big cuddles XX

so sorry to hear your rabbit has pasturela he is infectious if he has a snotty nose im afraid, he will need a treatment of batril if a good long dose is given he will probebly go into a kind of remision were he will be much improved and appear heathly, but may relapse every now and again. best of luck wiyh him. val

Thanks for that Val, but i have had a rabbit with it before and he never gave it to anyone whilst he had snot thats a puzzler :? is it possible for some rabbits ot be ammune to it? i know that all buns carry pasturella in there lungs thats what makes GA's so dangerous for them but it only comes out in some. Does anyone know if there are two kinds? Thanks

I don't know anything about there being 2 kinds but I have read that some rabbits are immune to it. I THINK I read somewhere that if they are exposed to it at a very young age they build up immunity, I will have to try and find the article.

I would be very interested to hear if you find out about the 2 different varieties, from your description my Jack who is also snuffly has the non infectious one.

ok, I can't find the article, I thought I'd bookmarked it: it was a study done on rabbits being bred for meat, they wanted to get a pasturella free herd, I tried googling for it but I can't find it again.

I did find this though:

"The bacteria, Pasteurella multocida, can be found in almost all rabbits. My vet believes that most rabbits contract pasteurella from their mother while going through the birth canal. Contrary to what I had thought, my vet says that otherwise, pasteurella is not contagious. If the bacteria gets the upper hand when rabbits are stressed by injury, poor care, or giving birth, they can develop symptoms listed above. They may also pick up a more dangerous strain of the bacteria."

It would explain why some rabbits seem to be immune, although I'm not sure its correct. I've read so much conflicting information about pasturella, it's hard to know which info is correct!!

Awwwwwwwww, poor Jack :( I hope he gets better real soon and that its not the infectious type. When Karrots wasn't well with suspected pasturella the emergency vet told me that all my guinea pigs may come down with bordetella and that all of them could die :( I was so distraught and really feared the worse.......... to think that I could lose my beloved bun and my piggies was just to much to bear. However, when I went to see my normal vet for a check up with Karrots the following day he told me that it may be an un-infectious type of snuffles. I'm happy to say that not one of my piggies ever showed any symptoms and Karrots made a full recovery. I'm sure the same will happen to Jack and your buns too :D Fingers and paws crossed :wink:

Thanks Kate that is a really interesting article, very helpful :D

And thanks Bunnster XX

Well Jack stayed in the house over night so that i could keep an eye on him and he seems to be fine. We didn't have one sneeze! He's eating well and his poos are going solid again!! yipee for solid poo!!! He's out in a kennel for 5 days now until his baytril is finished and then we've to see what he's like. if the snots have cleared then he can go back in with his girls. if not we've to have some tests done to see which kind of snuffles it is XX

hi

this article mentions several different types of organisms that cause 'snuffles' - your vet can only find which one it is by analysing a swab of the snot in a lab. Some antibiotics work better with different germs so it's worth finding if baytril is the best treatment - I think baytril is far too much of a 'knee jerk' reaction with vets...

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/sneezing.html

Hope he gets better soon! :)

Aww thanks Mandy XX

And thanks elve that article is great XXX i'll pop it into the vet tonight when i pick will and grace up XX

I'm glad to hear that Jack is starting to feel better :D (((((((( Gentle get well hugs ))))))))))) to him.

Back