• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Checking for flystrike

Jayne

Mama Doe
I'm a new owner so I'm trying to get as much info as I can.We got Gabbie and Sylvie on Monday from the Rspca and we want them to settle in their own time and not scare them too much so we are sitting beside them and talking and stroking them.I know you have to check regularly for flystrike but I'm not sure of the best way to do it without freaking them out! I've picked them up (which they weren't keen on,I was pretty nervous too!) and tried my best to have a look and as far as I can tell they seem fine (all nice and clean and fluffy) so should I upset them and pick them up or what? they have been rearguarded at the RSPCA. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Thanks thats a good website.Should I continue to pick them up to have a look and risk upsetting them? Any ideas gratefully appreciated.

I have just spent the last half hour cutting the fur around Bernards bum I hate doing it and it frightens me to death incase i cut him :shock: If I get a bit of thick or matted fur I pinch it then if he doesnt bother I know its not skin. I tell you it makes me bad each time I do it. But Bernard is a brilliant bunny and just lays in my daughters arems whle I do it. Jane just to explain why I am cutting his bun fur :shock: Its because he had his front upper and lower teeth removed , bunnies use these to groom themselves, Bernard does extremely well, but sometimes needs a little helping hand :wink

hi

I wouldn't have thought that a rabbit that had been rearguarded would be at risk at all?

I can't even touch my girls, let alone check them twice daily - has anyone got any suggestions please?

Thanks I've just sat in the hutch/playhouse for half an hour (my husband thinks its great he gets peace and quiet!!) talking to them and managed to pick them both up (not at the same time!) I had a look around their bottoms and like I said before its just all fluffy clean fur so I hope I'm doing it right.I gave them some of their food as a treat after so they know they've been good and I'm going to have some chocolate as my reward!!

Bobby hates being picked up, and he's been rearguarded, but after what's happened to Nougat, he blooming well has to put up with it.

I am having concerns about this too - we are going to my parents house on Saturday for the week. Charlie and Fern always lived in the utility area and conservatory when we visited before, but since Fern has died and Lavender came to live with us they've got a new HUGE dog crate which won't fit in, so my dad has built them a bunny chalet. Its a summer house type thing, he's added extra doors onto it which are wire mesh so we can leave the doors open during the day and they can watch outside and get some air in.

I've never had to worry about fly strike before cos the buns have always lived inside. Charlie is fine, I can pick him up and inspect away to my hearts content and he doesn't flinch. Lavender is more difficult, she'll let me pick her up but not tip her upside down to check her bum! Plus she's white down there so it'll be hard to spot anything.

Is it worth me getting some rearguard? can I do it myself or does the vet have to do it? Is it safe for Charlie - he had the misfortune to be treated with the spot on mite stuff many years ago (before I knew better) and had a massive reaction to it so he's obviously v sensitive to stuff. I only use cascade on carpets etc, he has mite injections when necessary and I've never sprayed anything on him for fear of a reaction. I'm not sure what to do for the best. rearguard or struggle to pick her up and scare her?

I would put rearguard on. You can get it from the vets, and you apply it yourself - although I would enlist some help! It's very easy. And well worth it. Read my posts about Nougat if you're unsure :cry:
Sorry, I feel very strongly about this at the minute.

HS said:
I would put rearguard on. You can get it from the vets, and you apply it yourself - although I would enlist some help! It's very easy. And well worth it. Read my posts about Nougat if you're unsure :cry:
Sorry, I feel very strongly about this at the minute.

Helen, I saw you pictures which prompted me to think more seriously about it, you were very brave to put those pics up but thank you for doing so, it will hopefulyl stop it happening to other buns. I didn't realise it got so bad so quick. Lots of hugs to you, and snuggles to Nougat. Fingers and paws are crossed.

It's not looking good at the moment. I thought we were over the worst, but she's developed snuffles and has diarrohea and isn't eating at the moment. She looks like she's about to give up.
We'll keep battling with her.

checking difficult buns for flystrike

Jack is a nightmare to pick up, you certainly can't check his rear end when you're holding him!!

I've found a way to check him daily for flystrike though: when he's resting on the floor with his legs kicked out I go over to him and start grooming him, as long as he is relaxed its very easy to look under his tail and check he is clean and fly free :oops: :D .

The first couple of days I checked he jumped up and ran away, but now he's used to it and sees it as part of his grooming routine. I also comb out knots around his tail this way, its a lot less stressful for both of us than trying to pick him up.

hi

Bev with the bunny house you could always put one of those fly doors with the multicoloured plastic ribbons over the mesh doorway - so long as the bunnies can't eat it (mine would if it was on the inside!) - and net curtains stapled over the window mesh...In addition hang some flypapers up (horrible sticky things - ugh I got it all over my hands yesterday :? )
Wilkinsons do a good selection of fly repellants. I've got one of those slide up, stinky fly repellants on the windowsill in my shed too.

I don't think bunnies have very good eyesight so they won't mind not seeing out - they seem to use their nose more than their eyes to 'see' what's out there? Mine do anyway - they smell a cat way before I see it...

Can you buy rearguard online anyone?

Thats a good idea to check when they are relaxing (like I said I'm a bit thick and didn't think of that!) they are nearly always completely stretched out so I shall try that later.When I sat in the hutch this morning they both nearly climbed onto my knee! wow big breakthrough! I managed to pick them up and have a look,I hope I'm looking in the right place (as daft as that might sound) I'm looking around their tail area and all underneath?! Thanks for advice everyone.

Re: checking difficult buns for flystrike

kate said:
I've found a way to check him daily for flystrike though: when he's resting on the floor with his legs kicked out I go over to him and start grooming him, as long as he is relaxed its very easy to look under his tail and check he is clean and fly free :oops: :D . .

That's the way I do Evo too. I kiss him all the way along his back, then I just lift up his tail when I get there (I don't kiss his bum! :shock: ). Sometimes he get's up and runs away, but mostly I get to have a good look before he does.

I have taken to checking him twice a day now too. Even though he's indoors, those pesky flies still manage to get in.....and I even nearly broke my finger trying to kill one with a newspaper last week, it's still not right now!

Elve - some excellent ideas, have sent my mum off in search of fly papers, and I have a beaded curtain which I am going to take home to put on the door of their bunny chalet. I've also contacted my vet and they think Charlie will be ok with rearguard, so have posted some to my parents house so if I decide to have a go I've got some, else I'll send it on to someone on here with an outdoor bunny. We're only there for a week so I'm just going to wait and see, if the weather stays as wet as it is today then there won't be any fly's anyhow.

thanks everyone.

Jayne - good luck with checking your buns.

Back