• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help!

angora mommy

Young Bun
hello i have a bunny, about 6 months and i am losing my mind...i have tried everything~ he has run of an entire room and as soon as i move will have run of house. i give him all sorts of boxes and wicker baskets and mats and paper and towels*everything i have read he would like* but nothing catches his attention..he barely pays any mind to it. im afraid heis bored and unhappy. bu he doesn't act like he is sad and bored he seems happy.why doesn't he play with anyhting i get him? anyone else go through this? what do i do?

hi

If he seems happy I wouldn't worry - some bunnies are more interested in toys than others - Is he neutered?

My bunnies seem to prefer eating hay to playing with any toys - it's the best occupation for them :)

yeah he just got neutered this weeked (my poor baby :( ) i felt awful with the stitches and evrything. he does like to eat hay. so it sounds like this is normal

One thought would be to get him a friend about 6 weeks after he has been neutered, if you check out a local resuce, take him along and see who he likes. Most good rescues will pair up yor bun with a girlfriend for you.

Janice

It is possible that boys can still produce sperm upto 6 weeks (they hold it in there tubes) this is also how long it will take for there hormones to dye down and he wont pester a new bun to much

ok well i have to go pick her up this weekend. so what do you suggest i do? (the new bunny will get spayed next week) should i not put them together at all? i was going to take my bunny this weekend to see which one he got along better with, is he not going to get along good with anyone? once i bring new bun home and she gets spayed...keep them apart for 6 weeks? (im really glad i found this out now, thanks for your help)

Once the girl is spayed which can be done from 6months old onwards then you just need to wait for her to recover (about7-10days) and then you can bond with the boy. after all she wont be able to make baby's

Immediatly prior to getting your girl speyed you need to keep her as stress free as possible and certainly for a period of about a week afterwards to allow her to fully recover, after a minimum of a week, ideally slightly longer then you can introduce her to a partner as she will be unable to become pregnant. Do consider that if he has not long been neutered that he is going to pester her until his hormones have settled down, she may get fed up of him and need to be given her own space for periods of time.

Ideally she needs to be around the 6 month age prior to being neutered.

Janice

The majority of vets will neuter males as soon as there testicles have fully developed 12 - 16 weeks of age. Some vets will neuter females from 5 months, it is recomended to wait until 6 months as apparently bone density is dependent on the hormones.

Janice

sarsimp said:
Hi - I have waited nearly 6 weeks to put my 2 tog but kept them next to each other the whole time :D

this is a good idea, so that you can begin the bonding process when they first come. you should put them each other so they can see and smell each other!

good luck with bonding!

sophie

Back