• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

care of english angora

Have you ever had a long haired or angora rabbit before? Where are you getting it from?
They require alot of grooming and possibly clipping to keep their fur in good condition. Adele cares for alot of Angora rabbits so may be able to give you some advice.

There is some information on caring for long breeds here: http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/longhair.asp

You'll need to groom her for about 10-20 minutes every day.

Taking on a long haired breed is a big comitment. If you don't have the time for grooming their coats can be in a terrible condition very quickly. I fostered a rabbit recently whose owners found caring for his coat to much work - he had to be shaved right down to the skin because of the matts.

Tam

Where are you getting the angora from?

The person i mentioned is Adele.. she runs a rescue centre that has alot of angora rabbits which stay there for life so she has a lot of experience with angoras.. im sure she will along later :wink:

Maybe they would let you go visit them before you get the rabbit so you can see how to groom an angora and the work involved.. im sure the breeder would be happy to show you how to do it before handing the baby over :D

I suspect the breeder will give you all the grooming advice that you need when you get her.

Best of luck..

Clare

Hiya, Angora Adele here :oops: :lol: :lol:
There are several ways to keep Angoras, the first one as described by the lovely Tamsin :) involving daily grooming, as you have to brush right down to the skin before the fur gets matted, if matts appear you are not brushing often enough.
If you get a hairdryer and pop it on a cool setting and gently blow over the bunny...as the fur blows back you can spot matts forming, remove immediately.
I have a book on Angora grooming, I could post it to you if you PM me your address?
Speaking to the breeder will be a good move, as they have to deal with Angoras on a daily basis so know all the tips.
The other option, is to trim the Angora with saftey scissors and keep his/ her fur short, but leave the fluffy head fur and ears :lol: We tend to do this more often than not, as we find the bunnies seem to be more active and comfortable without all that fur. Unless you intend to show your bunny, then you may decide to keep him/ her trimmed.
They do look extremely sweet like little lambs :wink: :)
The other thing to remember is that the Angora is at high risk of developing fur balls, so will need a small dose of Kittymalt twice a week and a high fibre diet (high fibre dried food and piles of hay..hay more than anything else) for life.
Bedding : never put sawdust in the hutch or indoor cage, as it will work its way into the Angoras skin, instead we line hutches with paper, Vet bed (that can be washed regularly and is rabbit carpet!), and a pile of Barley straw in the Winter as this does not stick to the fur so easily. We pop hay into tissue boxes so bunnies can constantly graze but not actually sit on the hay as the fine strands get into the fur.
Angoras are good as house bunnies, as you can keep them much cleaner than if outside :D
If I can help further please do not hesitate to PM me.

Best wishes
Adele and the 8 fluffy (ish ) Angoras. :D :D

Back