• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gut Statis Symptoms

BirdieBun

Wise Old Thumper
I worry becasuse I do not have a clue about what symptoms to watch out for and know that it takes a hold on bun's health real quick. Thought it would be a useful topic for many others! :wink:

So come on guys share your knowledge!

When Squidgy's scared us before :shock: he's stopped eating (not immediately evident) but he looks very uncomfortable, and sort of stretches his back end in a peculiar way. It's difficult to describe. But, you know your bunnies and you know if they're behaving differently. He grinds his teeth a little and refuses food.
Hope this helps.

Oh yes, when he does this we syringe some avipro into him, and some pinepple juice and massage his belly a little. I've noticed that he forgets to drink, so just encouraging him to drink a little can remind him to do this, and often perks him up. Touch wood :D :D he's not done this for a while.

You can just tell your rabbit isnt right.. Simba pooed tiny little poos and less of them than usual and refused to come out of his cage. He kept stretching out and wouldnt eat anything.

I kept picking him up giving his tummy a massage and gave him 2mls infacol and some water every so often.. luckily his was only a mild bout and he started eating himself pretty quickly

hi

I believe you have to go on poo watch too - their poos start getting smaller and less of them - It's because they feel full (of gas and stuck poo) that they refuse to eat - they're simply not hungry, especially if they're in pain too.

I didn't realise that Pepsi was pooing less until after he'd died - I was amazed at the pile of poops that Benny produced all by himself - enormous! I'd mistaken it for the poo of 2 rabbits, as I'd never kept a single rabbit before so didn't know otherwise.

It's impossible to monitor the girls - one of them does smaller poos than the others, but I don't know which one :?

great thanks! just hadnt a clue what to look for and I know it can kill bunnies if not recognised, sorry if this is difficult for some of you to talk about :?

I always do the "oat test" on Evo. If I think he's not right, I'll see if he still eats his favourite treat - porridge oats. If he doesn't, I know that he's poorly.

I knew immediately when something was up with Harry, I walked into the shed in the morning and he let me walk straight up to him and stroke him :lol:

He was at the vets within 10 minutes, and right as rain again within a couple of days.

Back