• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Big plastic pipes

janice

Wise Old Thumper
After a lot of searching, I have finally found a supplier of the tube which Bill in this photo has.
Billmed.jpg

These are really great as they can be left out in the garden without being ruined by the British weather. They can be used in our rescue by different rabbits after others have been rehomed as they can be washed and they also don't look as worn as the cardboard ones after a few weeks of the buns chewing on them.

They are DS72 drainage pipes which are made by Hunter Plastics who have kindly given us a few outlets near us. We now know that locally to us they are sold in Wickes, Seccombe Building Supplies (TW7) and Heathrow Buildbase (TW19). They are not cheap at £23.05 trade price which is the same price as just over 3 cardboard tubes which will disintegrate, so therefore long term they are a good investment.

Janice

We have 1 or 2 in our rescue which we have obtained that way, having a number of foster homes we thought it would be nice to have a few more which we could use in the runs we all have. We then hit a problem of where to get them from, today was success day, although I do have to admit I was kindly helped by a nice man at Huntley Plastics who makes them.

Janice

jrn1310 said:
We have 1 or 2 in our rescue which we have obtained that way, having a number of foster homes we thought it would be nice to have a few more which we could use in the runs we all have. We then hit a problem of where to get them from, today was success day, although I do have to admit I was kindly helped by a nice man at Huntley Plastics who makes them.

Janice

Are there any roadworks nearby :?: :p :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Unfortuntely none apart from those on the M25 orbital car park. We have been looking for months now without any luck.

Janice

The other thing I've been looking at is the plastic barrels for home brewing. There's much cheaper and the bottom could just get cut off ;) I need to check the sizes but about £5-10 each.

I'm meant to be working atm... but will get a tape measure out later and check how big our ones are. The sell them in litres instead of how many bunnies you can fit through at once :roll:

Tam

Tamsin said:
I'm meant to be working atm... but will get a tape measure out later and check how big our ones are. The sell them in litres instead of how many bunnies you can fit through at once :roll:

Tam

How ridiculous :? Surely they should go on how many buns rather than litres - seems stupid to me :roll: :roll: :roll:

Donna has measured the black drainage tube she has, it is 9.5 inches ( 22.5cm) across and 19 inches (45cm) long, Donna thinks her tube might be made up of 2 sections.

Janice

One rescue also told me they use those little plastic step stools in a row to make a tunnel... can't remember who it was tho :oops:

Work... must concentrate :lol:

beer buckets are 12" (30cm) across and 16" tall and about 17" (43cm) long. So plenty of head room ;) They come with a lid so you could put that on and cut a bunny sized hole and you'd have a nice den too ;) Those are £7.50

Thats the 25 litre buckets, not sure it the smaller ones are just shorter or not as wide too.

Tam

dsc000548zy.th.jpg

http://img167.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc000548zy.jpg

One of the benefit of a bigger hole is that I can just fit in there in the event if I need to crawl in and grab the rabbit to the outside.

Or if there is an emergency, that I must immediately grab the rabbit from its hole. Say he's having a heart attack If the diameter is too small, then the solution is to make sure the pipes are not too long, that your hand can reach it, but if it is that short, then it is not as much fun for the bunny compares to a longer pipes.

The other problem w/ a small pipe is that you can't really see the inside, you can't see what they are doing. I like to observe them. With the large pipe, I find that my last rabbit doesn't mind me watching, he still stayed in there quietly as the inside is his little domain.

And unless it is an emergency, I try not to disturb him because I want him to feel that hole IS his little domain.

Back