• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mr William!-Had his op! he's ok!!!!!!

Phill

Wise Old Thumper
Awww my poor wee man, Mr William AKA Will has to go to the Vets tonight. His front teeth have got really bad! we had them clipped last week to give him a chance to settle and then put a litttle weight on before we had his teeth out, but i noticed when i gave him and Grace there cabage last night that he wasn't picking it up properly so me and my mum ahd a look!

Well last week when he came he had nocked one of his top teeth out because his bottom teeth had gone squint and last night when we look! one of his bottom teeth has been nocked out! So my poor wee chap only has two teeth one on each side and the bottom one is way to long!

So were off to the vets tonight to book him in for his op if the vet is happy that his weight is good and then it's fingers crossed he will come through the GA.

The last time that the rescue put him under he had great difficulty in coming around. We shall see tonight and i will let you all know XXXXX

Awwwwwwwww, poor Will :( I hope that everything goes okay at the vets for him, I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers. Good luck and please give him a hug from me.

Thanks Bunnster XX I will give him a big hug! I just hope that when he does go for his op that he wakes up again. I havn't had him long but i love him so much already and Grace loves him too, he really is the perfect bunny for her XX

Oooh 5cutebunnies, you might be just the person! Now i have only ever had one bun with there front teeth out and he died 5 days after the op! How long will i need to make his pellets ect squidgy for him??

Ah, poor Will :( Never mind, we have lots of buns here with no toofy pegs :D
I don't know about having them taken out yet - it may be better to wait until the snapped teeth have grown back - it would save another operation later on. The vet could just keep on clipping them until all four teeth are back and then do the operation.
All our buns that have no front peggys do really well with their foods - we don't have to soften any food for them now and they just need their greens and veggies chopping up smaller so that they can get them to their back teeth to chomp on.
Miss Muffet eats hay really well :)
About his weight - have you tried giving him porridge oats to help fatten him up a bit? Most of ours love them and go mad for them - they also do their coats the world of good :D
Snuggles to Will - let us know how he got on at the vets :D

Phill I never made his pellets squishy for him, but at the time he was on Excel dwarf/junior which were tiny pellets. All I was advised to do was make sure you cut/shred all veggies and fruit into pieces that were small enough for him to get up with his lips then pass to his back teeth for chewing.

This is something I still do as he can't bite anything now bless him, you should see him trying to gum a large piece of cabbage that hasnt been eaten by Binky or Panzy lol

Poor bunny! I hope his op goes well. Could you give me details on him as he recovers. I am looking inot having my brothers front teeth pulled.

Good Luck Bunny!
WE've got everything crossed for you!

Oh I do hope everything goes well, we all know how worrying ops are, especially when ur not sure if they are gonna come through them!

Pippa is loving her porridge oats, she has a few teaspoons every night mixed with warm water and it gets guzzled down in one go!! She has lost nearly a kg in 2 months, hopefully the porridge will work :)

Good luck with your little one, even when you haven't had them long it's still just as bad as having them ages! Worse in a way as you want them to last longer to enjoy :)

Nicola

Ok we went to the vets and we took grace and jack to but Jack is another post!

hazel (myvet) is very good, Will and Grace have stayed in over night to save Will the stress of another car journey in the morning. Hazel wants to get a good luck at Will's back teeth as his eye is very pussy and runny. She has said that if he is stable enough when under that she will take his remaining two front teeth out. the two that he nocked out have come away from the root ripping the gum so Hazel doesn't think that they will grow back. If Hazel doesn't think he is stable she will stop the op and bring him round. So it's fingers crossed and Hazel will phone me when she's finished X

I really hope that my wee man makes it...infact he WILL!!!!!!!

awwwwwwww Phill :cry: poor liitle man let us know how he goes on with the op fingers crossed for him ..... By the way I answered you question about the squashy pellets earlier :D

aaaawww fingers crossed for little Will.. im sure he will be back with you before you know it. Hope Grace takes good care of him :D

Thanks guys! Yep thanks 5cutebunnies! so i don't need to make them squishy at all just cut his veg up?

I wasnt told to make his pellets squishy ... but as I said his pellets were tiny if yours are larger then maybe you will have to? Its amazing how well they cope, i couldnt belive it when i bought Bernard home it had only been 6 hours and he was tucking into all his food as normal :D Can you imagine what we would be like after have 4 teeth out all atr once :D Good luck hope everything goes well xx

Thanks XX He gets Allan and Page pellets and there quite small so i will play it by ear when he somes home XX

Back