• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fly strike - please be aware of the damage it can do

HS

Wise Old Thumper
I know most, if not all, of you are really vigilant regarding flies and fly strike. I just wanted to show you what damage can be done in only a few hours, and also how amazing Nougat is to be pulling through this.
It's extremely difficult for me to show these pictures. I feel so guilty that I allowed this to happen to my beautiful, patient, brave little girl. However, I think it's a worthwhile exercise, if it just saves one more rabbit from having to go through this.
The pictures are quite gruesome, so if you haven't got the stomach for it, don't look!
The first is of her back, the second of her nether regions, where the maggots had chewed throught the skin and where going between the muscle.

http://www.hslanguageservices.com/animalsnougat

Oh poor wee thing, hope she's well on the mend now. Ive just gotten that stuff from the vet that you dab on their touches, to give them before we go on holiday. I knew it could happen suddenly but I had no idea they could do SO much damage in just a few hours, but I guess when you think about it and think of what maggots can achieve......

Thanks for posting the pics hs cos although not nice to see they will hammer the message home to us all to be vigilant - glad sweet Nougat is on the mend - what a brave little bun she isxx

hi

:( Poor Nougat - she's just the same colour as my Petunia - or she will be when she's recovered...I can't even touch the girls, although I was told yesterday to just put a coat on and grab them by the scruff of their neck...I don't know - they'll never get tame if they hate me...But I worry about this happening to them too.

Meanwhile I get through gallons of fly spray and repellant - and they spend midday in a shed with net curtains so I hope they'll be OK as none are overweight and they all groom each other too...It only takes one fly though :?

I can understand it having been a difficult decision for you as to whether or not to post the pics :( Your post certainly helps bring a reminder to us all to check our buns frequently for flystrike though, so its definately not all in vain. I hope Nougat continues to improve, hugs and snuggles to her.

bless her!!! it is amazing how quick it can happen, it must be really difficult for you to post these pictures, but can't really blame yourself wholey for what happenned they can work really fast maggots, no matter what us rabbit owners do there can always be shows of flys even maggotts , me i clean my buns and guineas twice a week thorugh-out and i still get shows of flys even sometimes i might find one lone maggot, only one in one of the hutches (which can still frighten the life out of you) sometimes never, but the flys are still around. i have tried so many things and i am still trying to find ways to stop them but when you have a dog thats shats :? in the garden they will become attracted to our garden,

at least she is still here with you and with time and even more love that you give her she will be back to her normal self hopefully in on time :D

Hope Nougat recovers soon - sending her lots of love.

It was brave of you to put the pictures on. I have lost rabbits in the past in this horrific way and can imagine the horror you went through when you discovered them.

Thank you for showing the photos as grueseome as they are it really brings it home :shock: I really hope she gets well very soon x x x

Back