• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nougat's now snotty, runny poo: update

HS

Wise Old Thumper
I'm still nursing Nougat after her fly strike episode. She's healing nicely according to the vet. She's now developed a snotty nose though, which is awful to hear. Poor girl. :cry:
I took her to the vet today and he gave her a shot of anti-inflamatory, but she's already been on Baytril for 10 days, so can't help that way. I've popped some albos oil on a tissue in her vicinity, and cleaned her little nose as best I can. Is there anything else I can be doing for her?
I feel so sorry for her. She's being so brave, but the vet said she's got this far, and we can't give up on her. She's a little fighter, that's for sure.

Awww Helen XXXXX My heart goes out to you X This may be a long shot but she could be getting sniffely due to being inside not out???? You could try putting her in a carrier upside down so that the slatty thingys are at the borrom then put a towl over it and put a bowl of Vics and bioling water underneath, you only need to do it for 15mins, bit like us sniffing hills balsam when we have colds XX

Thanks, that's a good idea. I hate to see her inside, and i think you may be right. She loves the outside. I daren't take her out though as I'm so scared of flies on her wounds.
I'll try the "steaming" suggestion and let you know how we get on.

Poor little Nougat :( She's such a brave bunster.
Is there discharge from the nose? If so, what colour is it?
The baytril may not work with it and she would need to go onto a different antibiotic.
The olbas oil is good to do - I have a bowl of it in every room, a few times a day we throw it away and then make a new bowl of hot water and olbas oil in - it helps the snuffly buns and it also keeps the rooms smelling nice :D
The vet could give you some Bisolvin powder which would help her to sneeze out the snotties and then help dry it up.
Give her a cuddle from me - she's so good :D

She's such a good bunny. It's breaking my heart to see her in such a mess. This breathing thing i worse in a way than the gaping wounds she's got. There doesn't seem to be much discharge, although her nose is a slightly brown colour now, and she has brown marks around her mouth.
I'll ring the vet and see what they say about the bisolvin.

SHE'S NOW GOT RUNNY POO. I FEEL SO SORRY FOR THIS GIRL, WHAT CAN I DO FOR HER. TRIED RINGING THE VETS BUT CAN'T GET THROUGH. GIVEN HER A BATH, BUT SHOULD I GIVE HER SOME PROBIOTIC (ON TOP OF BAYTRIL/METACAM) OR TRY TO FORCE FEED HER SOME RECOVERY?

HS said:
SHE'S NOW GOT RUNNY POO. I FEEL SO SORRY FOR THIS GIRL, WHAT CAN I DO FOR HER. TRIED RINGING THE VETS BUT CAN'T GET THROUGH. GIVEN HER A BATH, BUT SHOULD I GIVE HER SOME PROBIOTIC (ON TOP OF BAYTRIL/METACAM) OR TRY TO FORCE FEED HER SOME RECOVERY?

Oh this poor girl :( Give her probiotic - it's made for going alongside antibiotics anyway.
If you can, get her to drink a bit with a fair bit of probiotic in - or mix some up with a bit of water and syringe it to her.

How long ago was the flystrike now?

hi

Aww poor girl is in the wars :(

this is a good article about 'snuffles' - like Jay said there's different antibiotics that can be more effective on the various strains of organism that cause it - without doing a culture test of some snot, your vet can't know which is most effective - They can even inject penicillin if it's desperate (it can't be taken by mouth)
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/sneezing.html

If you go to baby supplies at the shops you may find a mini pippette with a rubber bulb on the end, designed to syphon snot from a baby's nose as they can't blow their nose either - it should help clear it a bit better.

get well soon Nougat :)

hi

If she's got diahorrea too she really needs the vets - they can give her a kaolin medicine to soak it up, and sub-cut fluids as she'll get dehydrated...It's probably the antibiotics causing it as they kill off the 'good' bacteria with the bad, so a probiotic's a good thing for her.

HS said:
It was 10 days ago. :cry: :cry:

Well, she has passed the really tense time - it's usually about a week when you know if the maggots have poisoned her. There is still a chance that she has got blood poisoning - I wonder if this is why she has the snotties and the runs?
Can you keep trying to get hold of a vet? I really think you need one here.
How is she in herself? Is she active and alert?

i see that someone has already mentioned bisolvon but pro biotics would be great for her , obviously its also important to keep feeding her orally and giving her water . have you got hold of the vet yet ??

Hi
Had a bit of a hectic time this afternoon. I've just started my own business which includes private tuition, andhad the second lesson today with a couple, BUT arrived late because I had to take Nougs to the vet. They were fine about it though :D .
Went to a different vet this afternoon, as wasn't sure about the first's advice. The second vet was great, although he located an abcess :cry: :cry: :cry: which burst, and he said it was of the good variety (fluidy). However, the infection/ damage goes far into her,a dn she's going to have to really fight. She's still very snuffly, but the diarrohea is easing up (thanks to the probiotic).
To be honest, she looks like she's about to give up the fight. She's not eating much, and my big strong girl is getting thinner by the minute. :cry: :cry: :cry:
With the diarrohea, I'm only to offer her grass and hay, which she usually loves, but not a the minute.
It's breaking my heart watching her deteriorate like this, but the second vet too said we should keep on with the treatment as her eyes were still bright.
To make matters worse, I'm supposed to be going on holiday on Saturday, and I know I won't be able to leave her if she's still this bad.
AND to top it all, my sister's cat went missing on Monday night and still no sign.

awwwww both you and Nougat are really going through it at the moment. She has been so brave and I pray she will have the strength to carry on fighting. Thinking of you both BIG hugs xx

Back