• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

hay

Michelle

Warren Scout
hi

my 10 week old bun never really seems to eat any hay, i occaisonally see him eat a piece but he never eats alot, is this ok?

i was thinking maybe it is the hay, cuz the hay he was on before we had him was green, but the stuff we giv him now is brown, is the brown stuff ok?

p.s. im gunna be gettin pics of him soon!!!!

It is not a good thing for a bun to not eat much hay. Fresher hay might tempt him to eat, maybe try a different source, eg. a horse stable.

I have the same problem with my Holly but she has the best hay you can buy in the United States!

There are lots of different kinds of hay you can get. Find out the variety he was on before and you can get the same stuff

meadow hay is the best and easiest to get hold of but if u are buying from a pet shop then it may well be old and stale if its very brown. I get mine from a stable as i buy in bulk but some of them may let u buy smaller amounts. Hay should be an important part of a rabbits diet , u must make every effort to encourage your rabbit to eat more. val

Can you get hold of Timothy hay? You may be able to get your vet or pet shop to order it, or there are plenty of places you can order online. It's not cheap, so my bunny has this hay in his hay rack as his 'eating hay', which he loves, and normal pet shop meadow hay as his bedding, although he sometimes takes a nibble of that as well.

It's cheap if you buy from the farm, well worth the drive.

At pet store, they charge me $8 for 5 lb. of timothy hay, 75% green, 25% brown.

AT the farm, they charge me $4 for 1 Bale, i.e., 60 lb. of timothy hay, 100% green, no rain, 1st cut. Even w/ the gasoline, well worth the money and time.

http://img377.imageshack.us/my.php?image=onebaleofhay016it.jpg

onebaleofhay016it.th.jpg

http://img377.imageshack.us/my.php?image=onebaleofhay023ty.jpg

onebaleofhay023ty.th.jpg

http://img377.imageshack.us/my.php?image=onebaleofhay036qt.jpg

onebaleofhay036qt.th.jpg

The pet store charges me $9 + tax for 5 lb of timothy. Some rabbit breeder told me the farm sells 1 bale (exactly 60 lb.) for $4 (no tax). I can't believe it, but I drove to the farm yesterday, and I got the above for $4.

It's huge, good enough to last me 1 year. And the kitchen smell so fresh with the hay fresh scent.

Anyhow, how do you store this? They said store it in a dry place. I can put this in a dressing cabinet. But do I have to seal the top, or just push in the cabinet like the way it is above?

Back