• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Head shaking

Evening

I might be over reacting but I'm a bit worried about Sid. He has been shaking his head a lot. I don't mean trembling, I mean shaking vigourously from side to side, ears flapping everywhere shaking :shock: :shock: :shock: :?
Just a bit concerned, what with Cleo having EC symptoms and loosing Bon last week. :( :( :(

Probably being paranoid I hope.

when they are quite advanced you can see what looks like brown dirty bits (the mites are underneath) is he shaking then giving them a really good scratch? this is what Cobey was doing, the vet said his ears where ok but since having the mite treatment he has stopped shaking and scratching so I think it must have been mites

Hiya ear shaking is usually either caused by ear mites or wax/ ear infection.
(or the bunny may just be having a mad five minutes :roll: :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: )
If the ear shaking continues tomorrow, I would pop him along to the vets for a check up, as if wax is present it needs drops to help clear it.
Bunnies can become very ill with ear infections as they get so stressed at loosing their balance. If one is brewing it is better to get treatment promptly at the ear shaking stage before things get worse.

I am sure it is nothing to really worry about, but ear shaking should not be ignored :shock: :!: :wink:

Love Adele XX

yup like what Adele said! :D

whatever it is, the vet needs to have a wee look and they will soon sort it, let me know what they say

Cleo is shaking her head now :? :?
Cleo is going up to woodgreen on Thursday morning to have her suspect EC checked and Sid is going to the vets Thursday afternoon for a weigh in so that we can put him on a course of Panacur in case he has EC. I was going to have them both checked then.

Is that waiting too long ?

Hiya Thursday afternoon should be fine, as long as Sid is eating and toileting normally :)
Good luck for the appointment, hope it goes okay.
XX

It could be wax inside his rabbit. The best thing to do is to have one of those ear tool that vet uses, to view inside his ear w/ a light source (build in the tool)

I'm leaning towards mites though, as wax shouldn't cause much shaking at all.

Hi, are you sure they aren't binkying? Binkying is a bunnies way of saying it's happy and is like a dance that reminds you of a kid that's had too much sugar. they shake their head and flap their ears about whilst bounding around the room sometimes or just jumping and swinging their bum about... are they just flapping their ears? is the head shake followed by some scratching or cleaning?

Back