• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New Bunny Probs

Hi all.

As you know I adopted Holly 4 days ago. She is behaving fine, however she does have a few issues. First she won't eat as much hay as she should. She barely even touches her hay. What can I do to increase the amount of hay she eats?

Second, my bonded trio of Nethies are very agressive to her. I don't wish to bond her into the group but is there anything I could do to keep the Nethies from picking a fight?

Thanks!

I do not know how old holly is but if she is an adult then i would cut her dried food down so that she gets hungrey then she will in the end eat more hay. As for the other thing if there not to be bonded then i can see no way that the other rabbits will stop being agressive toward her

That's a diet change problem. I have seen rabbit who won't even drink water because the original birthplace of the rabbit was drinking well water, and when he move to the new place, it's tap water.

In your case, the hay has changed. Find out what was the original hay?

timothy,
Alfalfa

Are they 1st cut or 2nd cut

Are they rain on or no rain?

Then match the exact same hay 50% with 50% your own new hay for 10 days. Gradually reducing the amt. of old hay w/ your new hay.

I went to the Pet store I adopted her from today and picked up all of her old goodies her previous owners left for her. They included her old hay so I have mixed that with my hay, and I mixed her old pellet with whay I use. She is starting to eat more now so I don't think switching her over will be too hard.

I don't know how old she is but I know she is young. I am guessing alittle over a year, but she might be even younger than that. I do now she is old enough to have been spayed though.

Back