• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New owner,a few questions (sorry!)

Jayne

Mama Doe
Hi we picked up our girls from the RSPCA yesterday and all going well so far! They were so scared when we got them home but seem to have got used to us pretty quick and at the moment they are both stretched out in the run looking around (I hope this means they are happy) I would love a bit of advice though,Gabbie nipped my daughter on her bottom does this mean she's not happy about something or is she just playing? The RSPCA said they were very sweet natured bunnies.Also we put newspaper down to line the hutch but Sylvie just shreds it all up (she looks like she's having a great time!) will it harm her at all? Thank you.

To help answer your questions it would be a helpful to have a little bit more information about your girls. How old are they? Are they neutered and if so how long ago?

Most modern newspapers do not harm rabbits, the ink which is now used is not harmful to them when compared to the ink which was previously used, chewing and shredding paper usually does not harm them.

Janice

hi

Congrats on your new bunnies - sounds like they are settling in :D

I've read a few posts about bunnies nipping bottoms - I take great care as a result, NOT to crouch down when I'm cleaning or seeing to them - I bend at the waist or sit on my bottom - so they don't have a chance! :shock: :lol:

Bunnies often nip bottoms particularly when you're concentrating on something else instead of them. The amount of times one or other bunny as snuck up behind me whilst cleaning them out :roll:

To bunnies it's quite rude to sit with your back to them and ignore them :D

Tam

It sounds to me like Gabbie was trying to get your daughters attention as she had her back to her - they don't like to be ignored - it's a way of showing your displeasure.

EDIT: Tamsin - we posted at the same time, but seem to have said the same thing!

Thanks for replies.They are approx 10/11 month old females.No idea what breed probably mixed,who have both been spayed I think in the last 3 months as they came to the RSPCA in May and they had them done.We think she might have nipped Beths bottom as she wanted to get past but maybe she didn't like being ignored! Hoping it's ok to let them play with the newspaper as they are having such a good time with it and so funny to watch!

Back