• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Post a pic of your hutches and rabbit runs...

**Bonnie**

Mama Doe
I need some inspiration - my brother said he would make me a run for Alfie during the day when im at work - i want to make it interesting for him. I can't fit the hutch into the run (as its on legs) so he is going to make a hideaway in it too...

Would love to see what you all have to inspire me!

Thanks

bunnyrun2.JPG

feedingtime.JPG

I've added an extension too which they're allowed out in in they day
newrun.JPG

It's built on two thirds paving slabs, one third bark chippings, with netting underneath. The back is solid wood - 6' x3' at the back, 3'x2' at the sides wth a felted roof over this part.
The rest is made up of 6'x3' frames of wood, covered in wire mesh. The roof folds back so I can get in :D and there is a fold down door. To get into the extended run, we've made a door for them which bolts shut. It's evolved a lot to get to this stage, but I think I'm happy with it now.

My only comment on bark chippings for anyone considering them, is to check what trees the bark comes from. I seem to recall that a lot of it comes from various firs etc which can be poisonous to bunnies, and mine have always certainly liked to chew on bark chippings from time to time!

hi

oh I was wondering about that - I like the idea of bark chip over mesh as mine are diggers - but if it's poisonous - eeek :shock:

:oops: I didn't know about that. I've had the run (in its various forms-always with bark chippings) for 4 years, and no casualties so far.....
I'll make sure I check this out though.

Tree, some breeder once told me that rabbit drinks more water when it is on a bowl than on those feeding tube. I notice you use feeding tube, you think a bowl makes a rabbit psychologically want to drink more water because it is right in front of him?

Hiya Happy Hopping :D ,

I'm well aware of this however there are pros and cons for bowls, the cons outweigh the pros thou. With the hutch bunnies, they are likely to get litter in their bowls and spoil their water, or tip it over, this could be quite bad on a hot day while I were out at work. My bunsters get through alot of water a day, so I haven't got much to worry about. :D

my bunnies dont know how to use water bottles :lol: we once tried but they never knew what to do so they prefer their bowls, think some bunnies prefer bowls and others bottles

lisa

My house bunnies have bowls, I'm not sure Beatrix would know how to use a bottle.

Here are Isadora and Zebs in their aviary. It is rather small for them as they are big buns, but they fight when given more room :roll: I leave them out at night as the hutch isn't very big and the whole thing is secure. they do enjoy all the climbing though:)

aviary.jpg

They jump up from the small shelter. Isadora was a bit reluctant at first, but Zebs seems to have to have springs on his feet - well named he is:) :D And he would like to go higher I think :lol:

Tree said:
Hiya Happy Hopping :D ,

I'm well aware of this however there are pros and cons for bowls, the cons outweigh the pros thou. With the hutch bunnies, they are likely to get litter in their bowls and spoil their water, or tip it over, this could be quite bad on a hot day while I were out at work. My bunsters get through alot of water a day, so I haven't got much to worry about. :D

I had that problem on my 1st bunny when he lives in a large indoor cage. First of all, he just won't know how to drink the water bottle. But to solve the problem of tip the water bowl over, I just go with a heavy ceramic bowl.

Back