• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Badly urine stained indoor cage / How can I clean it?

MoBunny

Warren Scout
Hi,

I've been donated an indoor cage, the one with the plastic bottom and wire top kind. The big problem is that it is badly stained in all four corners and I was wondering how to get this crusty stain off.

I've never had this problem as all mine are litter trained and have been cleaned out daily.

What can I use that is safe and will get it off?

Thanks for your help

Maureen

I use white vinegar on my indoor cages, it works really well :) Just be sure to rinse it really well afterwards as it does kick up a bit of a pong :lol:

Hi,

I have some white vinegar which I bought when I was trying to house train and they had the odd accident so I will give it a go.

Thanks

Yep, white wine vinegar, I do my litter trays with it - i just put the tray in the garden pour the vinegar in and then prop a corner up with a brick so the vinegar all runs to the opposite corner, leave it for half an hour, and do the same with the other corners. Then jet blast it with the hose pipe, usually it all comes off without any hassle, otherwise I have a scrub with a plastic pan scourer thingy.

I found if I air dry it outside the smell tends to fade quite quickley.

i have used that cillit bang! dont know if you have seen the advert for it, but i have used that for my indoor cages, although this is when i know i wont have a bunny in there for a while as i dont know if it would be safe to clean it then put a bunny straight in there. i clean it and leave it outside and clean it again, just because this gets all the marks off of it.

i use trigene for my outdoor hutches which is just another disinfectant that the vet recommended we use!

sophie

Hi,

As i was reading this an advert came on the TV for it !! Spooky!

I'll give that a go next time but you neaded a hammer a chisel for it this time :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maureen

white vinegar is fab, just use it neat and let it soak for a while, it has the added advantage of being a more natural cleaner rather than anything chemical based

Back