• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbits eyes vs teeth

Groovychick1804

Warren Scout
Are teeth problems related to eye problems?

I took my netherland dwarf rabbit Poppy to the vets just over a week ago about his eyes, they were runny particularly his left one which was closing up, the vet gave me some drops for these. I also asked the vet to look at his teeth he said they were little over grown but nothing major and just left them. His eyes have fully opened now.

Now his eyes are still very runny even though I am putting drops in them every night and morning and I have noticed that one of his front teeth has broken.

I am jsut wondereing if this is related, i am booking an appointment for him tomorrow for Wed to see the vet.

I know with chinchillas, weepy eyes can be a sign of the roots of the teeth growing upwards too far and towards the eye sockets. Unfortunately nothing can be done other than putting the chinchilla to sleep when it has no quality of life.
Not sure if this is the same for buns though.

Teeth problems can cause eye problems as the roots can grow up and cause all sorts of problems. I think that is one of the first signs of teeth problems. Your vet will probs need to anaethetise your bun to get a good look at his teeth. I think Caz wrote a good article about teeth problems which should be on here somewhere!

There are things that can be done for bunnies teeth (unless very very bad), surgery being a usual route to remove teeth/spurs or to sort any abcesses out. Your vet will be able to tell you more!

Our netherland dwarf had teeth problems, although they didn't affect his eyes. His front teeth have been removed and he's fine now, so I'm sure something could be done.

Back