• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New tooth appeared.

Twiggy

Warren Scout
My bun has unfortunately regrown a new front tooth after having them removed, unfortunatlely this now means i have to decide whether to let him keep it or have it removed, having lost one bun to the dreaded injection when work was done to her teeth i'm very nervous.

I've read other Topics about teeth and know there's alot of others who've had the same thing happen, but unfortunately they only mention that the tooth has regrown after removal and don't say whether they had it removed again or not, so if you've been in this situation of having a tooth regrow what did you do after? Have the new one taken out, or did you just leave it and get it clipped every month or so.

Mary had one tooth regrow. I left it for a while, as it's easier for them to remove when it's longer anyway, but once it was about half a cm long or so it started making the opposite gum look sore.
He also had spur problems, so had to go under anaesthetic for that, and had it removed at the same time. Even so, I'd probably have had it removed simply for the fact that I had them removed to stop him being at the vet so frequently and not being stressed out by having his teeth burred down.

Hi Twiggy - Bernard had his two front upper and lower teeth out, apparently it only takes the tiniest bit of root to be left in and they can regrow. Bernard has had one lower tooth grow again but it seems to be stunted and not growing, we keep a very keen eye on it and if it ever starts to grow like his others did I would not hestitate to book him in and have it removed again.

Like Bernard, Squidgy's started to grow back again, but stopped at about 2mm and hasn't been a problem.

Oh, and a bit of reassurance - I've had several animals go under aneasthetic, rats, rabbits, chinchillas and dogs, and not one complication for any of them. Mary's been under a few times because of his spur problems and he's back to his cheeky self in a day or two.

Thanks to you all for the advice, i'm just so worried about the injection, he's had it before to have the teeth out but it was then a life or death thing so we had to get it done, only thing is this time it's not and the last thing i want is to lose him for something that need'nt be done, oh blow i hate having to decide on someone elses life, it's just we lost our little girl when she was having her teeth done and that really hurt, she just didn't wake from the injection. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Back