• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

head Tilt any advise on it please

bunnies

Alpha Buck
As the subject say`s anyone have experience of this as my bunny has it, if you look on `bracken not well, not sure what it is` it will fill you in on all the details.

Will he make a total recovery??

cheers

Hi Bunnies,

One of mine had head titlt from E cuniculi, luckily he made a full recovery after a lot of nursing.

Obviously you will need to establish what has caused the head titlt and get this treated ( I'm sure you have already started this...).....

For caring for a head titlt bun....make sure there is knowhere he can fall, and hurt himself.....and that water and food are in a position/height that they easily be reached. Make sure any litter trays are low sided so he can get in and out, and keep and eye out for dirty botties....as they often find it hard to clean..... I know mine went totally off his dry food but had a good appetite for his veg so he always had a good supply available of food he liked.

I hope your bun makes a good recovery.....

Jaro had a dose of head tilt recently - was due to an inner ear infection.

It came on really suddenly - and seemd to affect his eyesight aswell.

He responded well to both an Anti-Biotic and an anti-inflamatory injection - and the tilt cleared up in about 2 days.

He was still sufferning some other symtpoms - and his eyesight was affected for probably a couple of weeks, although it did slowly improve.

Jaro's eyes were flickering while his head was tilting, and all the while his head was going from straight ahead, to a drift off to the left before snapping back to look ahead. At its worst though his head was turned fully to the left, and turned at an angle.

The vet said that this was most likely caused by a swelling from the infection that was putting pressure on a part of his brain, and would also be linked to a possible cause for his blindness - from that we believe the anti-inflamatory really helped in him responding well to treatment.

I think Jaro was lucky in that he responded so quickly to the treatment.

Head tilt can also be due to EC (E Cunniculi) which is a parasitic infection - normally of the kidneys or brain. When in the brain, it can cause head tilt, as well as affect other nervous system areas.

The treatment for EC is basically a wormer (something like fenbendazole, which jaro took as 'parafend') which aims to kill the parasite. The symptoms may not go away though - its more of a preventative / controlling measure, it cant reverse any damage.

You've done the best thing - which was to get your bun to the vet. - and fingers crossed, bracken will respond to the treatments.

Crossing everything here...
Martin

i've had two bunnies with head tilt, one caused by ear infection the other by a stroke. as others have said e-cuniculi can also cause it. mine also went off dry food and needed to have their food syringed for a few days before perking up and eating veggies.

hope your bunny gets better soon, keep us posted...

I have had three rabbits with this. The first I caught really early as I recognised it and had some anti-biotic to hand and metacam. He was better the next day and comepletly recovered in a few days.

The second came on in a rabbit with snuffles already who had been on antibiotics for over a year already. He was pts as there was nothing further to be done for him (Run free lovely boy).

The third I am nursing at the moment. I have only had her for a month and she came to me with severe ear infections in both ears, and developed head tilt two days after I got her. She is still in quite a bad way, not able to move much, but she is eating and washing herself so I am going to give the anti-biotics a good chance to help her.

So you see there are a variety of ways it could go. My rabbits' head tilts were all caused by ear infections, but it can also be caused by EC, which would probably follow a different course altogether. The thing is not to be put off by how dreadful it looks, they can get better, and even if they don't recover entirely rabbits can still have a good quality of life with a residual tilt.

post subject

Bracken is looking much better this morning gave him his injections and panacur paste which he took very well.

His head looks more upright and not to the side this morning and he was waiting for breakie and he seems a bit more like his usual self.

Thanks for all the info and i hope your bunnies who have this condition get better soon as well.

cheers

Good to hear Bracken has improved - sounds like he has responded to the medication.

Keep us posted :)

Martin

post subject

Bracken is a bit wobbly today, not as bad as before but not as good as yesterday :( :( :(

He is still interesed in his food and is moving around in his hutch and run, let him out in the garden last night and he was hoping around and steady on his feet.

We go back on friday to see the vet, his head tilt is only and has been very slightly I`m so just hoping that it is an ear infection and will clear up with the drugs he`s on????

Back