• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Digging

maryflynn

Warren Scout
Coco is about 8months old (shes Mitsy's baby) and she lives outside with her brother and her mum, but Coco is obsessed with digging!, Ive alredy mentioned on here bout her massive hole that when we looked in it went for metres underground so we checked it out and then filled it and made sure she couldnt do it agian for her own safety not to escape etc but shes digging up the whole garden everywhere and Im running aroung every couple of days filling started tunnels!

Whats all this about then? How can I stop her?

Unfortunaitly Mary you wont stop her. Does usually dig when there feeling broodie you can try to distract her woth toys but you wont stop her she may get bored after a while, my younger does all dig but my older ones only do it very occaisionally XX

It may it may not, two of my does who are spayed do not dig very often any more and one used to dig constantly but they still do it occasionally

How about making an area where she can dig as much as she likes? Sand pit or something? Although, as much as she likes sounds like quite a lot..!
I've had buns that like digging into towels and fabric, maybe that would distract her?
Jo

Yeah I might try that, the only thing is do rabbits understand the concept of "designated digging" lol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can just imagine her going there n that encouragin her to do more everywhere as if i was proud of it haha

I don't know about designated digging, but all my buns will dig anywhere where there is bare earth. They also seem to like digging next to things, for example the back of my garage and next to each other's hutch/run (I have two groups).

Maybe if you turn over a place for them to dig in they'll take the hint and dig there. Also I tend to find they will dig more if they think it annoys me, so you have to make them think you're not making a play area for them but are thinking of planting something :lol:

Not sure about designated digging. Some buns are brighter than others and I'm sure some are little toads deliberately ;) You could always switch her litter tray for a storage box, then if she does dig in it most of the litter will stay inside.

Tam

Back