• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pre-operative blood test- Operation today

rineyroo

Mama Doe
I'm getting Horatio neutered next week. On the info sheet my vet has given me, it mentions a pre-operative blood test to check liver and kidney function for anaesthesia. I was wondering what this is and if it's necessary, as it's performed at an extra cost of £22.50.

It is just to check whether the liver and kidneys are functioning properly, as the liver filters out the anaesthetic after the op. If there are any problems, it can cause complications but in a healthy bun the risk should be minimal. I have never had it done with any of my bunnies, Pippa is 6 now and was in poor health for her last op on Wed and she sailed through it :D

It's for your peace of mind really, if you choose to have it done. It is more routine with larger animals such as cats and dogs.

Nicola

I wish my rabbit had had a blood test before she was neutered, they would have found that her kidneys weren't working properly. She died about a week after surgery, they did a post mortem and found her kidneys were a tan colour instead of red/purple, she had raised levels of creatinine (or something like that) and her kidneys were malformed. Had I known this before she had the surgery, I would never have let her get spayed. Not because of the money but because I would have liked her to be comfortable in her last days, I could have taken care of her and she wouldn't have had to go through the stress of surgery needlessly, if only I'd had the choice. RIP Meg.
Its probably not a common thing to happen, but in future (and in a few weeks time) my rabbits will always be getting a blood test beforehand.

It will be a standard consent form for all species. It is unlikely they would want to perform a pre-op b/t on a bunny, as long as it is fit and healthy.

Talk to your vet and see what they say :) Try not to worry, all will be well.

Hw old is your bun? My Pippa has had 4 anaesthetics in just over a year and she is still with us :)

You may find that they actually can't run a pre-op b/t on your bunny. Our forms for the surgery go out with the option being there, but it is meant for cats and dogs. Our in house blood machine does not correctly test rabbit blood and if we wanted to run a rabbit blood sample we would have to send it to an external laboratory. If you really want the blood test doing then it may be worth giing your surgery a call to see if they can actually run rabbit blood through their analyzer and if not going in a few days before your bun goes for surgery, so it can be sent to an external lab and hopefully the results will then be back before bun goes in.

We routinely offer pre-GA bloods to dogs and cats over the age of 8 years or those suspected to have underlying conditions which may effect the effectiveness of the liver and kidneys with a GA, but wouldn't generally offer one to an apparently healthy, young bunny coming in for neutering - it is probably just an option that is on the form which goes out for all animals....but if having one run would put your mind at rest then phone them up and ask if they can run one on the morning of the op or if you need to take him in a few days before to be bled so it can be sent away to an outside lab before the op.

Claire

Today's the day

Horatio's having the operation today. I'm so worried, I woke up at 5 :oops:
I'm going to take him in at around 8.30 then worry until 2 when I phone the surgery.

Re: Today's the day

rineyroo said:
Horatio's having the operation today. I'm so worried, I woke up at 5 :oops:
I'm going to take him in at around 8.30 then worry until 2 when I phone the surgery.
Good luck Horatio!!!!! You'd better find things to occupy your mind.... thorough clean out of hutch or something?

aww I was in this situation on Friday...I was very worried too but it all went just fine, Coby woke quickly and was up and about and eating as soon as he was home

hugs to you

He's back

The vet says the op went well. He's been eating and drinking. He seems to be sulking a bit though! :wink:

Back